US Mint Announces 2021 Peace & Morgan Release Dates

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by YoloBagels, Apr 12, 2021.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If collectors want to spend 6 or 7 figures a year, pay more, and cover all the costs over picking up a product they could get that small group as well.

I’ve answered that question before

YoloBagels likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'll only be trying for the CC Morgan & Peace dollar. That's all folks
    If I'm not successful that's ok too.

YoloBagels and baseball21 like this.
  4. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

If I can't order at the official release to the public I'm out, Daniel Carr has filled the gap for me any ways.. The mint can stick these, well, you know.

YoloBagels, COOPER12 and Inspector43 like this.
  5. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

I suspect I will try for all of them.
    I wonder if they will be the size of a American silver eagle

6. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

Don't forget that they'll blame COVID.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I didn't see any mintage figures or household limits posted.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Something changed. Now some big dealers, probably the ones who are arthorized distributors of the bullion coins, are able to get their orders in a few days before certain, not all, limited mintage items go on official sale.

For the most part the Mint has never cared about the collector, and at times has been downright hostile towards them.And no it is not their job to ruin the hobby, not is it their job to protect or support it.

Their specifications are to be the same weight and diameter as the old Morgan and Peace dollar. But since they will be .999 fine instead of .900 fine they will have to be slightly thinner to keep the weight the same. So the blanks will have to be about .009 inches thinner.

9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

https://www.usmint.gov/news/ccac-meetings/2021-morgan-and-peace-silver-dollar-coins

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/6192/text

We also know the CC and the O are "privy marks", the S and the D are Mintmarks, and the Morgan and Peace dollar are P mint without marks. We do not know what the finishes will be, or the mintages, but from the legislation, any finish is "on the table" because none are "off the table".

as far as the legislation:
    "each of which shall--
    (1) weigh 26.73 grams;
    (2) have a diameter of 1.500 inches;
    (3) contain not less than 90 percent silver; and
    (4) have a reeded edge."

I think yes, they could go thinner and do .999 silver, but most likely they will do them in 90% and keep the thickness I'd think. if they go.999 the only option left open is to reduce the thickness though.

Next "(a) Sale Price.--The coins issued under this Act shall be sold by
    the Secretary at a price equal to the sum of--
    (1) the face value of the coins; and
    (2) the cost of designing and issuing the coins (including
    labor, materials, dies, use of machinery, overhead expenses,
    marketing, and shipping)."
    (b) Bulk Sales.--The Secretary may make bulk sales of the coins
    issued under this Act at a reasonable discount."

There is nothing in the legislation about mintages. They can make as many as they like I believe.

Ok, Now as far as the mint website, this is a heads up there will be 6 releases. They don't tell you composition, or finish, or mintages. But count on these being $100 each to be on the safe side I think, maybe more even though, if you want all 6 then you need to have at least $600 available for it. For now it is a good time to decide which one, or ones you want, or can live without and wait for more info to be released and save up.
    Dollar sized commems are around $80, Silver proof eagles $73, Privy marked silver eagle last year was $83, uncirculated (burnished) eagle was $67. if it's $83 and $10 for the museum or something... yeah. it could get to or beyond the $100. but I think planning for $100 each is reasonable to do at this point and use the time we have to get it in order before May 24th.

Aim for $100 each, even if they tack on $5 or $10 for fund raisers, you should be in the ballpark and not fall short.

I think they could go either way on mintages, but the thing I know is the legislation doesn't limit them and they can start selling them whenever they are ready and sell them through the end of the year.

For all I know, they made the proof set switch to .999 silver in anticipation of this and freeing up the .900 from the supplier for this exact thing and intend to go all out on them.

Terrifrompa and YoloBagels like this.
  10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It would have been a lot more interesting if they had actually minted the Carson City coins in Carson City, and the New Orleans in the mint there using older presses.

I'm sorry, but I believe "privy" marks are akin to a half baked attempt at something.

They will probably have crummy packaging also, I bought the uncirculated McAuliffe dollar and had a bear of a time getting the capsule out of the case.

11. John Burgess

Yeah, I actually might pass on the privy Morgans. depends on how they do it I suppose.
    Coin world in January said they'd be .999 but don't really give a source for where they got that info.
    I'm just struggling with the morgan dollar being .900 silver 90% silver/10% copper weighing 26.73g
    and a silver eagle being .999 1 troy oz. @ 31.103g

it HAS to be according to the legislation
    (1) weigh 26.73 grams;
    (2) have a diameter of 1.500 inches;
    (3) contain not less than 90 percent silver; and
    (4) have a reeded edge.

clearly, if they make it .999, it's not going to be an oz. of silver. the silver eagle is also almost 1.6 inches in diameter, not 1.5 inches.

wondering if you shaved off 0.098 inches off a silver eagles diameter to the same size of a morgan dollar, if it would bring the weight down to 26.73 from 31.10..... Seems crazy to be reinventing the wheel for this to do it in .999 and follow the rules in the legislation when it could be done in the original .900

whatever outside of that, would have to come from the thickness, just seems so much easier to do it as .900 like it was originally given the mandated weight and dimension, than to figure out what to do to make .999 work.

We can have a thin 2021 Morgan and Peace dollar with less than an oz of silver in it, or one that's true to the coins specs with less than an oz. of silver in it.....

Seems like a no brainer to me. I think I need a mathematician to figure out what this looks like in .999 if what coin world says is true, I may not even want any of them honestly, I'm not so interested in an "off" size morgan or peace dollar, that's just stupid. this math is too advanced for me, it's like a 14.05% weight reduction from a silver eagle and roughly 0.098 difference in diameter, a 10th of an inch smaller diameter than a SAE.

.....I'd be extremely disappointed if it winds up the diameter of a morgan or peace dollar but the thickness of a half dollar or quarter to "make it work" in .999.......

12. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

John, everything you said is the way I'm approaching it also. The only difference being, highlighted in red above. The coins specs are not limited to diameter, composition and thickness, but also the exact same 1oz weight in silver. So to be true to specs, everything must be exact. This can't be true if any one component differs, let alone two components, sliver fineness and thickness.

The Chinese counterfeits of our Morgans match our specs better than these supposed recreations by the US Mint. Sad to say.

YoloBagels likes this.
  13. John Burgess

the morgan and peace dollars don't have 1oz. fine silver weight to it, it's less. this is true to the coins specs. it's 90% silver. it weighed 26.73 oz total. Its fine silver weight was 0.77344 troy oz. just over 3/4 oz. fine silver weight.

What I did just figure out is the mint did do .900 commemorative called a T-1 blank for dollar comems, but recently (at least last years womens suffrage coin), it was a .999 blank, but was 1.5 inch and 26.73g. The mint does NOT list it's spec thickness. but this is the blank they would intend to use to make the 2021 morgan and peace dollars in .999.

the sufferage comem, or the McAuliffe comem, aren't 1 troy oz. as far as I can tell, it doesn't say it on them anywhere. they are 1.5 inch, and 26.73grams, but they've done a good job of hiding their spec thickness. I can't find it. Maybe someone here has one?

14. John Burgess

After a ton of stupidity and thinking on this and math (because I'm stupid apparently and couldn't visualize it LOL), it's the same silver blank as used on the McAuliffe or Women's Suffrage commemorative coins.
    They are .999 silver, 1.5" diameter, 26.73 grams weight. It's going to be about 1/8th a millimeter thinner than a morgan dollar, or 127 microns thinner to be exact which is nearly imperceptible in my opinion, (127/1000 of a millimeter).

I'm also figuring out that they wouldn't be selling it for less than the McAuliffe commemorative coin all things being equal, so it's going to be at least $79.00 as the lowest they sell each for.

And the .999 fine silver weight for this is 26.73g.
    Morgan dollar refined to .999 fine silver weight is 24.056g.

I think I have it all figured out. LOL took a good 16 hours with 8 hours of sleeping!

15. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I don't think I'm going to buy even one %99, 4-5x e.t.c melt is just to much for my wallet.

16. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

They just released some more info on the mint website including new images of the coins and how the privy marks will look.

Seems that they are all priced at $85, the morgan dollars will all have 175k production limits while the one and only peace will have 200k. So I'm guessing the Peace dollar will be our hot ticket item.

Honestly I believe $85 is really steep. I will probably just try to get a morgan and a peace for now and wait to see the aftermarket prices.

The coins themselves don't look too bad. Better than any copycat rounds I've seen anyways.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  17. potty dollar 1878

Wondering how bad the bay inflation will effect the prices afterwards just like the V75 but worse.

YoloBagels likes this.
  18. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention, and this is probably the biggest screw up the mint has done with this series other than making it .999

The pre order window will be opened on May 24th. Know that these are only PRE ORDERS and not true sales. The mint website states that it will not begin shipping until October.... Jeez

19. potty dollar 1878

changing it to %100 definitely most absolutely will not buy one .999 just another round to me.

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I actually thought it would be a little higher

Mintage is way higher on these than the v75. They won't be anywhere close to as successful price wise

That just killed all interest I have in these. Mint to demand is boring

YoloBagels likes this.
  21. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

So glad these will be available for pre-order. I was hoping the Mint would go this route. I will be getting one of each if I can.

YoloBagels likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted