US Military Challenge Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by schatzy, Jul 7, 2009.

1. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

It's funny how life works sometimes. Last year, I retired from the Marine Corps after 21 years. I joined this forum a month ago, because I collect U.S. coins. Never really thought much about my military challenge coins, until I read this post.

So I dug them out of my old foot locker...and here they are. At least the ones I could find.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panda

panda Junior Member

very cool pictures everyone!

i was outside the other day photographing my coins and my sisters friend is on break from the marines. he asked if i collected coins or just got them cheap and sold them for more(like i do with other things). we talked for a bit and i was showing him some coins he liked and then he asked me if i ever heard of these challenge coins. i knew what they were but didn't know any history behind them.

he then said if i would like he could send me some of his when he got back to Iraq. i sorta don't feel right taking them from him, but he said most of them had little meaning to him. he said he has a real nice one from when he was in Haiti for the earthquake relief.

he is into car's and just got a new civic si, i might order him a cold air intake. its more then what the coins are worth but i guess its like a "thank you" for both the coins and time served.

4. KennyMac

KennyMac 82nd Airborne Division

I was in The 82nd at the same time as Steve, and whereas he went to the 10th SF, I went to the 7th S.F.....I got my 82nd Airborne Division challenge coin from Maj. Gen. Guy S. Meloy III.
    All of my medals, (including my challenge coins), are in a shadowbox at my moms...along with my father (army) and my brothers(marines) shadowboxes.
    (Oddly enough, she is a Buddhist Minister and has them displayed in her residence at her temple)....

5. Honolulu Dick

Honolulu Dick Junior Member

Awesome! Absolutely awesome! You ex-service-types are sharing openly what is otherwise a little known aspect of service life. One straight-wristed, heels locked on line, head held straight and high, with eyeballs cased SALUTE to each of you for contributing to this thread. Also, for your service to our magnificent nation.

Our two members who served with he 82nd Airborne Division are truly "All Americans." There is something very special about those who have the courage, the personal fortitude to jump out of airplanes. From this best-of-the-rest, they went on to become Green Berets. That's about as good as it gets ..... that's top drawer stuff. "Silver wings upon their chest, they are among Americas best." I know. I tried, but I wasn't good enough to become one of them.

Also, I am thrilled to see the Challenge Coins collected by our brother "leather neck." First time I have seen such an extensive collection another service branch. I can identify with the Semper Fi pride they suggest .... the few, the proud, the first to destroy a pristine beach as they assault ashore with all the destroying trappings of success. Sorry 'bout that. [Humor intended.]

There are times when Challenge Coins apperar when least expected. The televised funeral ceremony for the Fort Hood thirteen showed brother warriors paying their final respect by placing a Unit Coin on the coffins as they paused to say Godspeed to each fallen hero.

Within the recent past, while in the local supermarket, I spotted a soldier standing in front of the meat section. His back was facing me and he was wearing the newer ACU digital camouflage uniform. Not knowing who he was, I went ahead and pulled my usual line of BS, saying: "That's a good looking uniform, trooper. Wear it with pride." When he turned around to face me, I saw that he was wearing a star, the rank of a Brigadier General. I have never felt so small, nor so disgusted with myself. Who was I to have addressed a general grade officer as a stand-in-ranks trooper. As I tried to gracefully disengage, he reached out and offered his right hand in friendship. I habitually wear one of the newer digital-camo patrol caps, adorned with lapel-size [mini] insignia. Crossed US flags and my Vietnam unit patch on one side and a Ranger Tab, Jump Wings and a CIB [Combat Infantryman's Badge] on the other side. When he spotted these, he asked about my service in Vietnam. Upon departing, he welcomed me back home and placed his personal BG Coin in my hand.
    For those who don't know me, I'm old, gray, bent, overweight and have trouble breathing because of repeated exposure to Agent Orange, but I stood tall when I recognized he bestowed me with the honor of being awarded one of his personal Coins. I refuse to acknowledge that my vision blurred and my voice quaked, but it was all I could do to manage a graceful exit. The lesson ..... One never knows.

May this thread continue to honor those who wore a uniform with dignity and to preserve our national excellence. We are the land of the free, only because of the brave!!!

Nuff of my blathering for now.

Stork likes this.
  6. UCoinCrazed2

UCoinCrazed2 Member

challenge coin...

I always keep mine with me; there have been a few times that when I meet another vet without his they owe me a beer sometime! Haha...:goofer:

7. KennyMac

KennyMac 82nd Airborne Division

Honolulu Dick......thanks for that.....and welcome home, brother.

8. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

These coins (medallions) started appearing in the 1980's.

I have never seen one from before then.

:)

9. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Talk about rare, its not everyday you here about or see an E-10 from the military. Excellent post...

10. Mvandemark

Mvandemark Ignorant know it all

My hats off to you Green Foot. I've walked in your steps at Lackland, and am glad you were there. I once needed your services in the jungles of Panama and am forever grateful. I'd love to bend your ear sometime.

I earned my first one when I got to Altus, AFB Oklahoma. It was my first K-9 coin. I still carry it with me in my wallet everywhere I go even though I've been out for 11 years now. You should see some of the looks I get when I pull out my wallet and it looks like I have a condom tucked away from the outside.

I've since collected a few that, while not earned, are relevant to my AFSC as a SP dog handler in the USAF. All those were collected after I was out and are for collection purposes only. All my earned ones are in a special case.

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Fabulous coins!! :) :hail:

12. StephanieMTM

StephanieMTM New Member

My husband is currently in the Navy, and he still gets excited about each new challenge coin. They are a true treasure in our house, stored in his little wooden chest.

I had no idea what they were all about, so before our second date I had to research. There's not much online, but there's this post that I've been sharing with friends wanting to learn: https://embleholics.com/challenge-coins/

13. DrDarryl

DrDarryl Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted