US Marshalls Commemorative

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mr. Coin, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Mr. Coin

Mr. Coin Member

I recently promised myself I'd never buy another modern commem due to lousy designs, lousy themes, and grossly high mintages. The recent sales report has me questioning. Thus far, only 36,113 silver unc dollars have been minted. Is that low enough to make this an interesting purchase?

Having looked at other low mintages such as the Lief Ericson commem, I still think I pass. But I raise the question for the group.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Collect what you like. Don't buy a coin you don't like out of speculation that it might go up in value. Life's too short to not spend that money on something you'll like.

Cascade and tommyc03 like this.
  4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I agree with messydesk in buying what you like . But in answer to your question I think it isn't low enough to gain in value unless it becomes extremely comfortable .
    I use a made up rule using the Isabella Quarter as the cutoff in # of coins minted . Also one must consider if the coin is popular or a dud . Anything near 10,000 for a US coin is a good bet . IMHO

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Tydot310

Tydot310 Member

Unless the coin becomes extremely popular with strong demand I don't see anything to get to excited about. A lot of U.S. commemoratives I have picked up are duds as far as being money makers for me.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Exactly. The lower mintage means nothing unless the series catches fire. Hard to gauge popularity down the road. You may have to wait 50 years or more before something like this gets really popular. Till then, collect what you like and pay no mind to what something is going to be worth in the future. If you're in this for the money there is an extreme possibility you're gonna get burned. If you're in it for the love of collecting the series you will always be most satisfied indeed.........:)

rzage likes this.
  7. CeJota13

CeJota13 New Member

Modern Commemorative Coins are hard to make money off. If you like the design of the coin, I would buy it, but as far as an investment i would stay away from the Commemorative Market. There are far better investment opportunities in other sectors of the US coin Market.

8. Tydot310

Tydot310 Member

I have always stayed away from modern clad proof sets just cause I like solid silver I suppose but I wonder if there is money to be made with them in the short to medium term

Draft saved Draft deleted