US damaged coin turn in?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Seattlite86, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

My bank trades coin for coin all mutilated coins I take them. They turn them in by the pound to the Fed.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I noted that the address in your link is not the same address as the addresses provided by the US Mint on their website.

Maybe its a scam. Any damaged money with silver content would surely be worth a lot more than $20/pound.

Chris

Seattlite86 and Amos 811 like this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Old information, you will note toward the end of the article they mention that due to fakes being submitted from Chins they have temporarily suspended the program. That was two years ago. Since then the firm that was sending in the fakes has been paid off, but the program suspension continues.

gronnh20 and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. Seattlite86

I have the opportunity to buy damaged US coins at half face value. If I were to buy them, would I be able ich o turn them in somewhere? Should I pass?

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If the mint redemption program is ever restarted you would make out well. If they don't then all you have is scrap metal that you overpaid for.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

Haha. This is one that I definitely should’ve listened on. The ones I bought near exchange that were “good” were all pretty much water damaged and gave me a lot of trouble at turn in. Here’s what’s left. Can’t get rid of these here, most are heat damaged... @SchwaVB57
    3DAD16DA-D360-40FE-86C6-B9117FBB4D5C.jpeg C9CFDA03-2EC3-4997-B900-557DBAC16B16.jpeg

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Wow they look like all the damaged coins that are posted here on CoinTalk! With questions such as "what kind of error is this?" and.. "How much is this worth?" and.. "Should I get this graded?" :hilarious:

10. Seattlite86

Haha, so very true. Out of curiosity, how do you think they all got heat damaged? Left too long in the drying machine that spins and sorts them?

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

House fires can cause that damage.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. Seattlite86

Hmm, good point. Might be a salvage.

Draft saved Draft deleted