US Confederate Half Dollar 1861

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SportzFSU, Dec 19, 2010.

1. SportzFSU

SportzFSU New Member

Hello all,

Found this coin while going through my grandfather's belongings today. Not sure of it's worth since it seems impossible that it could be an original. Done some research and can't find anything anywhere that shows this exact coin with the letter "T" next to the date on the front. Any help would be appreciated.

Pictures were taken from a cell phone so sorry about quality.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Logan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Looks to be a copy . But don't take that for fact .

4. SportzFSU

SportzFSU New Member

I'll probably try to run it by a shop tomorrow for a closer look. Any ideas on the "T"?

5. coinman0456

" T " might be the copy makers initial , as in Taylor .

6. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

Send it in for grading

7. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

imo, it looks like a cast fake.

8. coinman0456

Depending on the dealers knowledge and or expertise, they may or may not be able to authenticate it. give an update when you get back from the dealer. Thanks.

9. prolawn_care

prolawn_care New Member

Might be the pictures, but it really looks fake... Hopefully im wrong, but dont get your hopes up.

I'm sure you've done this but check the edge or all the details in the design for the word "copy". Might be there and it might not if it's a copy, but just thought i'd throw that out there.

10. SportzFSU

SportzFSU New Member

I have yet to find copy anywhere on the coin. I will let you all know what a dealer says about it, not too sure on their expertise here locally. According to my grandfather he purchased it in Mexico from a friend who does not know where he came across it and had no idea of the value.

11. SportzFSU

SportzFSU New Member

And I know this is a long shot but could the engraved "T" represent the chief minter at the New Orleans Confederate mint in 1861, BH Taylor?

12. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I looks like a cast to me too but I'm no pro at these.

13. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

Very, very crude looking "replica" of a Confederate half dollar. You can buy these 5 at time for a few bucks on e-bay.

[​IMG]

I believe the "T" near the date is nothing more than a Trademark

Note: The card came with a cent and half dollar attached. The cent looked really wierd, not even a good hole filler. Junk.

14. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

Doesn't appear to have a die crack running from the nose to the rim like it should so.....
    FAKE!
    Sorry! :sniper::brokenheart:

15. blsmothermon

blsmothermon Member

DSCF0579.JPG DSCF0580.JPG

Mine is BU and doesn't have "COPY" how much is mine worth? (sarcastic!) Come on guys these things are rare (practically unique)! No offense to SportzFSU, but this is clearly a fake. I bought mine 2 weeks ago with the cent, 5 Dollar, and 20 Dollar with a book for $10.50. It is a nice heirlomm and something interesting to have. It is worth taking it to a dealer on the off chance, but I will bet my colletcion against that being real.

16. coinman0456

It could, but that in itself does not confirm whether this is a re-strike or a copy. I have a copy around here someplace.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Back before the 1973 Hobby Protection Act the letter T on a coin was another way of marking a coin as a copy, especially for European made copies. The T stands for "Toy". It is a toy or play coin. The letter R was also frequently used to mean "Replica". Another reason for the use of the T was in England the term "toy" was used for any small metal manufactured item whose value significantly exceeded that of it's metal content.

It can't be real because there were actual records that only four half dollars were struck and all four coins can be traced today

18. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

My father in law had this one it the cent.it was made in 1961 for the Alabama Sons of the Confederacy

Attached Files:

19. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

There are 4 authorized original Halves and about 500 Restrikes which should be underweight because they were first coined, then the reverses smoothed, and then restruck. Then there are about a million souvenirs in a great range of artistic merit reproduced from those.

Now that gives you odds, not authentication. IF an example were authentic, it might be found in Mexico since some rebels did go there after the war and they might have been interested in a restrike in the 1880's when they were produced. It would be quite a stretch to think an original, but unauthorized, piece might have been presented to a Mexican official considering we were still only about 15 years removed from the Mexican War.

Then again, it was the Confederacy who was seeking allies, including Mexico, so who knows.

20. coinman0456

I never knew that " T " was an acronym for toy. Thanks for the info.

21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Draft saved Draft deleted