US Coin Market Stagnant

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Derek2200, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

I think PQ coins will trade higher whether stickered or not. Dogs (spotted / darkly toned trash) will trade lower and sticker won’t raise them.

bsowa1029 and Sunflower_Coins like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

The best time to buy is when the market is down

Walkerfan likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

With the CAC bean because you can NEVER be 100% sure that it would have the qualities you assume most expert graders would agree on.

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

That is not the benefit of a CAC sticker. There are a good number of buyers and sellers out there who would know the value of coins at the A, B & C levels within a grade, and willingly trade at those levels. As long as the buyer and seller agree upon a coin being an A, B or C, it doesn't matter whether the coin has a CAC sticker or not. They'll settle on a price based on their agreement as to the quality of the coin.

The CAC sticker benefits those who cannot determine the value witin the grade for themselves.

Moreover, a CAC sticker is absolutely not 100% assurance that most expert graders would agree on the qualities assumed to be necessary for the assigned grade. We have all seen at least a few CAC coins which should not have been stickered, and we've doubtless seen many more which CAC did not sticker, and should have.

CAC is top-grading the submissions received, passing fewer coins than they statistically should. When one considers the distribution of coins in the A, B & C bands within a grade, and considers also that most submitters undoubtedly pass over far more C coins than the A & B coins they select for submission, it stands to reason that CAC is actually seeing very few C coins at all, yet their results indicate that most of the coins submitted to them are less than B quality for the grade.

Frankly, like the early strictness of the TPG's, I think this tightness on CAC's part is self-serving in the short run and self-defeating in the long run. Such selectivity will ultimately be overrun by the need to come clean with the marketplace, and eventually sticker something closer to 70% of all coins submitted to them, which will leave their customers feeling like their standards changed . . . which they will have.

Now that I've ranted about CAC, I think it'd be good if we returned to the subject of the "stagnating" coin market.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    longshot and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

I am not an expert. I respect the experts. We have some vets here who have been doing this for decades, like GDJMSP, who I respect immensely and I've learned alot from them.

And yet....when we have a "GTG" contest or thread or segment, many of the vets are off by 1-3 numerical grades and sometimes not even sure if a coin is MS or AU or even EF.

Maybe if I had a coin that was high for the grade -- like those MS-66 1923-D Saints I highlighted in another thread here at CT (where the price varied almost 75% within the 66 grade !!:wideyed:) -- somebody like GDJMSP would agree with me on the grade and we'd have no problem agreeing on a grade and a price. But it's far more likely somebody else would say it's a plain-old 66 and maybe give me an extra 10%.

As I said, check out the 1923-D Saints posts I did a few weeks back. Highly unlikely, unless it was 2 experts who saw things the same way, that you'd have agreement on the coins.

I don't doubt it...but a CAC sticker to me CONFIRMS the underlying PCGS or NGC grade, that is all. It's a double-check to me.

Maybe....OTOH everybody is sending in to CAC in the hopes that they will be able to justify a higher price if/when they sell, and they may have not been able to justify a "crack out" from the TPGs. CAC submission and grading is cheaper and if it fails, no harm no foul to the slab.

Interesting theory, and it might pan out. OTOH, the "alleged" (?) (!) easing of TPG standards occured during the pre-Internet era when something like that today is much tougher to justify.

CAC is confirming an EXISTING grade, which allows for much less leeway than a raw submission where there is greater leeway to establish the initial grade. If historically CAC gives a sticker to 15-20% of submissions, I think if in a few years suddenly they are giving out 50% that would set off alarm bells and not go unnoticed. If the value of a CAC sticker went down because everybody was getting one, the business model and professional repuration of the CAC folks would go down the tubes (I presume both mean something to JC).

I think the CAC situation is somewhat related -- tangential, if that -- to the stagnating market so I think these posts have not been in vain. :D

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hold on a second -- keep in mind that everyone in these contests is grading from photographs, which are a poor substitute for in-hand examination. One photo, or even a couple of photos, won't be enough to let you evaluate luster, and can easily hide or over-emphasize problem areas.

brucebuck, Chuck_A, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

True....but I'll bet some would still be off in-hand.

And even though it's paper and a different grading scale, a PMG 45 Gold Certificate I highlighted here had guestimates off by 10-20. It's not that difficult to disagree on coins by 1-2 grades. To think we're gonna get the number right and differ only on A-B-C is too optimistic, IMO.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's a joke, I've made many posts on it. It's got tons of common as dirt things and classic commemoratives and proofs etc.

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/pcgs3000

It's a relic of things thrown together at best and something that should be taken down so people have to actually try and analyze a market segment and not use a lazy chart.

A whole 50 cents a coin with a 5 dollar service fee, what an extreme raise......

That is the angle many like to push but not at all. It's smart to protect high value purchases, if that gets in the way of dealers pushing things as premium or value purchases upon sale being pushed as premium so be it and that helps the buyer.

The market determines the value and many elite collectors believe in it as well, do they not know anything?

The ironic thing is many of the anti CAC people could make a killing snickering coins that are unstickered..........

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Dynoking and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  10. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

The stagnant market affects liquidity. Last nite I won a really nice PCGS MS65 Classic commem for 95 pct CDN bid (with buyers fee) from well known auction house. The seller realized 75 pct bid after selling costs not including shipping. I plan price the coin at bid plus 40 pct for my online store / table at shows. I offer sellers at shows about 80-85 pct bid which beats what they would get from auction houses.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Classic commems other than the toned and best have been a falling knife for decades

ToughCOINS and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OMG !!! The #1 PCGS fanboy is bad mouthing PCGS :jawdrop: :wideyed: :woot: :eek:

Somebody call Chicken Little cuz the sky must definitely be falling :D :D

OK baseball, enough with the funnies, I'll be serious now. It might help, you, if you understood the history of the PCGS 3000 Index. When it was put together some of the so called best and brightest minds in numismatics sat down and put it together. And they didn't just pick things out at random, a lot of time, effort, and work went into it. They discussed and discussed, reached a consensus, and picked out specific coins in specific grades from among the gamut of US coins in order to put together a basket of coins that would best represent the US coin market as a whole. They picked out coins that - were most often traded, and of high popularity among collectors. And not just those big money guys went after, they also included those the meat and potatoes guys went after too.

Their intent was to create this Index so they would have something to track, something that could be tracked, that would allow anyone and every one to see at a glance the general trend of the US coin market as a whole. And to allow people to get a closer look, they broke down the overall Index into individual Market Segment Indexes, specifically so people wouldn't have to "try and analyze a market segment" - they would also be able to see the trend of that individual segment at a glance. Individual indexes like these -

upload_2019-11-11_10-0-35.png

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/coin-index/generic-gold-coin

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/coin-index/mint-state-rare-gold

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/coin-index/proof-gold-coin

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/coin-index/mint-state-type

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/coin-index/proof-type

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/coin-index/morgan-and-peace-dollar

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/coin-index/silver-and-gold-commemorative

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/coin-index/twentieth-century

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/coin-index/pcgs3000

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/coin-index/key-dates-and-rarities

Now if you take all of those individual market segments, and combine them, it's kind of hard to say that they don't do a pretty fair job of representing the US coin market as whole.

And you have to keep in mind that the purpose of these indexes is not to track any individual coin, or even any specific value. Their sole purpose is to allow anyone who looks at them to see the general trend, of the market as a whole, or specific segments of it, at a glance.

And that, they do, and do very well.

13. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Same. Only registry set I have is for Franklin’s and NGC is tougher on FBL so I stick with NGC. When buying a coin for my set I couldn’t care less about the green stickers. A nice coin is a nice coin. I don’t need one guys opinion for me to like the look of a coin.

GoldFinger1969 and micbraun like this.
  14. bsowa1029

That might not necessarily be true. I know collector coins and bullion/junk are two separate segments of the hobby and market, but the last boom in metals prices happened during the economic crash of 08/09. Unfortunately that was right about the time where I started to seriously get back into collecting after not collection for about 15 years, so I don’t recall if non junk type prices also rose.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  15. Jtg61

Jtg61 New Member

We are currently in a fiat currency, paper asset, cryptocurrency cycle that eschews hard assets like precious metals and coins with intrinsic value. It's a great time to buy while the herd is pooling their wealth into noncents (nonsense). Once the SHTF with all this negative interest rate, QE, Repo and trillion dollar deficits, there will be a rush back in or inflation will lift their value. We're buying low while they're buying the other stuff high. I'm optimistic.

16. GoldFinger1969

Can someone give me an example of a "Classic Commemorative" ? Are we talking about those collection sets I used to get as a kid in the 1970's from the Mint ?

17. CircCam

CircCam Victory

9E4CF292-7325-4F28-9A3C-454FAE8396D0.jpeg

18. GoldFinger1969

I commend them for their effort.

However...today....it might be better to have a coin index more like the DJIA and not like the S&P 500 or Russell 2000 (if I can bring in my areas of expertise). More concentrated, fewer names....maybe 50 or so...the stuff you see in dealer cases and getting the most hits on Ebay or HA.

There's always a balancing act....domestic vs. foreign.....large number of items vs. more concentrated....higher priced vs. lower/medium priced....bullion proxies vs. 100% numismatics.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  19. GoldFinger1969

Did you see those posts on another site a few years ago -- I think I linked them here at CT -- where somebody complained that a Franklin that he had had gone up 2 whole grades with FBL (or whatever the lingo for a top Franklin is) and I think that a coin he had that he sold for like $400 was now worth like 5-figures ?

I think it was Collectors Universe or something.....I have the link somewhere if anybody wants it. Or maybe use the Advanced Search here at CT to scan my posts; I have very few posts (if any) that mention "Franklins."

20. bsowa1029

Don’t think so. I’ve seen MANY CAC’d coins that are just downright ugly.

21. GoldFinger1969

Long-time dealers who have been in the business for decades should be listened to....ultimately, they buy and sell and they can tell you WHY they have been paying more or less if traffic into their LCS has fallen 50% in 10 years or whatever or is a quarter of what it was 30 years ago, etc.

Derek2200 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted