US cent bigger then cent,smaller then nickel. HELP

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jdiablo30, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

Came across this guy the other day. 1961-d US cent. It is bigger then a normal cent,but smaller then a nickel. The cent fits perfectly inside of the nickel rim. Weighed it,weighed 3.1 grams,the rims look like they are still there,not flatten in any way that I can tell. Was thinking a wrong planchet,but then why would Lincolns bust become larger?
    Broadstruck without a collar I thought at first,but then the rim wouldn't be raised up on the end,correct?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The rim is put on the blank by a machine called an upset mill, before the coin is struck. I don't know why the coin is larger.

5. Jdiablo30

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Well surprise surprise!
    I think the Cent Crushed between 2 pieces of leather explanation that I gave and Mike Diamond gave is the answer :woot:

7. TubeRider

TubeRider Active Member

Congratulations!!

8. TubeRider

TubeRider Active Member

Congratulations!! Mint Error!
    Coin is a "Centered Broadstrike".
    Centered Broadstrike: -Coin expanded well beyond its normal diameter because the collar jammed far enough down on the anvil shaft to ensure that there was nothing to retain its shape during the strike. In this case, the planchet was centered between the obverse and reverse dies.- ...... A "blank" has no rim yet. When the blank goes through the upsetting mill a rim is created and it becomes a "planchet". Planchets are then fed into the coining chamber and struck into coins..

9. TubeRider

TubeRider Active Member

Oops, Scratch that. I am now kind of back to a guess. This is the best matching example I could find. Many others do show some distortion in the devices closest to the rim. Sorry. lf.jpg

10. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

It's still a Texas cent.

11. TubeRider

TubeRider Active Member

As I look up Texas Cent the qualifications seem to be not only wider but thinner also. Not seeing the thinner part?

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

And you think you are going to see that from these images?

13. TubeRider

TubeRider Active Member

Sure

Jdiablo30 likes this.
  14. Jdiablo30

Don't think its a texas cent either. Its not thinned out and the letters aren't malformed were they were stretched/rolled etc.

Attached Files:

15. Jdiablo30

Last picture is of a texas cent, On my coin The rims seem to show no distorting of any kind from being put through a roller or some sort.

16. Jdiablo30

If someone needs some better pictures to better help understand this coin I can take them,lol just have to ask

17. TubeRider

TubeRider Active Member

"Amtrak Cent" Loved those!

Draft saved Draft deleted