Uruguay

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, Jan 30, 2011.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Here's mine from Uruguay:

[​IMG]
    Uruguay 10 Pesos 1961 Gaucho
    Legend:
    Republica Oriental Del Uruguay / El Gaucho Heroe Nacional / 1961
    Sesquicentenario de los Hechos Historicos de 1811 / 10 Pesos

I visited that country in 1981.

For some reason this coin was chosen to be slabbed and sold by various entrepreneurs
    as a "World Trade Center" coin:
    http://www.wtc911coins.com/1517/the-strangest-wtc-coin-story

:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Charrua85

Charrua85 New Member

Hola! / Hello!
    Nice post Siberian Man! I¨m glad to see people collecting coins from my country!

In addition to collecting coins Uruguay, collect coins from eastern Germany, Soviet Union, Russia, Cuba, etc!

I leave some photos of some coins! If you have any questions about any coin from Uruguay, gladly will answer

4. Charrua85

Charrua85 New Member

KM-70 250th Anniversary - Founding of Montevideo , Copper-Aluminum

[​IMG]

Bruno Mauricio de Zabala (1682–1736) was a Spanish soldier and colonial administrator. He was born in the slum of Zabala (then located outside the walls of Durango, but now a part of the town) in the province of Biscay. The house of his birth has been preserved to this day, and one of its walls bears two plaques commemorating his exploits in the new world.
    In 1717, Zabala was named capitán general of the Río de la Plata, where he suppressed piracy and confronted the Portuguese, who sought to claim the River Plate for themselves. In 1726, to contend with these rivals, Zabala constructed a fortress. This settlement, which would evolve into the city of Montevideo, became the center of Spanish control over the Banda Oriental, and later the capital of Uruguay.

Hispanicus likes this.
  5. Charrua85

Charrua85 New Member

Small coins 1994 (KM 102,105,106) Stainless Steel

[​IMG]

6. Charrua85

Charrua85 New Member

KM 67 , 20 Centesimos 1981 , Aluminum-Bronze

[​IMG]

7. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

10 & 50 centesimos 1981, aluminium-bronze. Pretty design.

Attached Files:

• 27.jpg
      27.jpg
      File size:
      75.2 KB
      Views:
    • 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
    • 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      51 KB
      Views:
    • 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      45.6 KB
      Views:
  8. Charrua85

Charrua85 New Member

KM 121 , 10 Pesos Uruguayos, Bimetalic Aluminum-Bronze center in Stainless Steel ring

Variation with 5-pointed star to each side of date, issued 2006

[​IMG]

José Gervasio Artigas Arnal (June 19, 1764 – September 23, 1850) is a national hero of Uruguay, sometimes called "the father of Uruguayan independence".

Quotations
    *I will not sell the rich heritage of the fatherland at the low price of necessity.
    *My authority comes from you, and it ceases before your sovereign presence.
    *Mercy for the defeated.
    *Let the Orientals be as enlightened as they are brave.

9. Charrua85

Charrua85 New Member

KM 19 1 Centesimo 1924 Copper Nickel
    KM 20 2 Centesimos 1924 Copper Nickel

[​IMG]

10. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

uruguay coins have always been quite collectable and i certainly like them, BTW are you a football fan? my team liverpool have just signed louis suarez and he scored in his first game last night.

11. goossen

goossen Senior Member

You should come Siberian, I can give you a Paraguay tour! :)

12. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Church on coin?

[​IMG]

Is the picture on this 1981 20 Centesimos coin the
    "Santuario Nacional del Cerrito" church in Montevideo Uruguay?

I remember hiking up the hill to see the church in 1981.

:)

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

1942 Uruguay 1 Peso (.2083 oz silver)

I got this at FUN. The dealer from Brazil was selling only bulk silver coins at his booth.

Attached Files:

Stork likes this.
  14. Errejota

Errejota New Member

it´s a fortress

Fortaleza General Artigas, AKA "Fortaleza del Cerro"

was made by the spanish between 1809 and 1811

15. Charrua85

Charrua85 New Member

Yes, i love football, i am fan of Peñarol, a club founded by Englishmen who lived in Uruguay. IFFHS named Peñarol the best South American club of the 20th century.

Suarez is a great sign, is a formidable striker (goalkeeper too haha).

Liverpool should sign Gaston Ramirez, former Peñarol player, now playing for Bologna.

16. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

penarol are a famous team over here, ramirez is an excellent player who would certainly fit in well at liverpool just as suarez has done after only 1 game. but my favourite other team apart from liverpool are river plate (sorry) i was lucky enough to watch them play boca whilst i was touring south america.

17. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

The 1930 Uruguay 5 peso gold coin is a really nice design, also. I bought some from a bullion dealer a few years back and am glad I did...can't get at them to post, though...(sorry).

18. Charrua85

Charrua85 New Member

1981 2 Nuevos Pesos , Copper-Nickel-Zinc, World Food Day

[​IMG]

19. mumu

mumu Junior Member

As some know my family is also from Uruguay and I collect Uruguay coins. I will post a couple coins I have already posted but First I must correct Siberiaman on a couple things. Those are not in fact the first minted coins from Uruguay. There is a 1844 PESO FUERTE which is VERY rare. Here is a picture, not my coin though on my todo list someday:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And also an 1840 and 1844 minted copper coin as in the OP. I believe there may also be an 1844/43 overstrike of these and also there are 1857 mints of similar coins:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. mumu

mumu Junior Member

Also, not a correction but an addendum, the very nice 8 Reales privincias del rio de la plata from the earlier 1810s should be considered both Uruguay and Argentine coins, though they are usually attributed as argentinian only.
    The province was in fact both sides of the Silver River which now divides Argentina to the west and Uruguay to the east so Uruguay can at least take a partial stake in this being in the coinage lineage:
    This is not my coin either but I will own one some day:

[​IMG]

21. mumu

mumu Junior Member

Stork likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted