URBS ROMA FELIX ID HELP

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gavin Richardson, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

upload_2019-11-14_16-49-8.png

So I picked up this URBS ROMA FELIX from eBay for $3.98 shipped. It's a scarce issue, struck for Arcadius, Honorius, and Theodosius II from 404-408 A.D. I was impressed with the sharp reverse--pretty rare for this little coin.

Sadly, though, I can't tell if the obverse is for Arcadius or Honorius. The obverse legend breaks the same to terminate in-IVS PF AVG. I don't think Theodosius is a possibility. His legend terminates -SIVS PF AVG

@Valentinian has a great site about these. http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ricix/type49.html

Is there any hope of determining which ruler this is?

galba68, zumbly, Andres2 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter Amen-Ra-Hotep

To me it looks like the last visible letter in the legend prior to -IVS is a "D"

If it was an "R" then the previous letter would be an "O" and it does not appear to be an "O"

So I would guess Arcadius. Also, I have seen more Arcadius coins with a desert patina than I have of Honorius, and I've handled quite a few of these in the uncleaned state.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member Supporter

I might be imagining things but the next to last letter on the left has a pointy top so I would guess (no more) it is an A rather than an O. That means I agree with ancient coin hunter even though I don't see the D vs. R clearly.

5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That’s very helpful fellas. Thanks. I’m going to go out on a limb to call it Arcadius, with an added note in my cataloguing system indicating that this is a strongly probable identification, but not conclusive.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander Blame my mother. Supporter

I love these and was planning a post on them sometime soonish. I agree with the others on the probable Arcadius attribution. I'd also note that the second officina is a rare one. With the lovely reverse on that coin that really was daylight robbery!

I have one where the emperor is, I think, truly indeterminate. If anyone can show me otherwise I'd be pretty pleased, but I think it would probably take a die match.
    Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 1.03.57 AM.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted