URBS ROMA FELIX ID HELP

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gavin Richardson, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

upload_2019-11-14_16-49-8.png

So I picked up this URBS ROMA FELIX from eBay for $3.98 shipped. It's a scarce issue, struck for Arcadius, Honorius, and Theodosius II from 404-408 A.D. I was impressed with the sharp reverse--pretty rare for this little coin.

Sadly, though, I can't tell if the obverse is for Arcadius or Honorius. The obverse legend breaks the same to terminate in-IVS PF AVG. I don't think Theodosius is a possibility. His legend terminates -SIVS PF AVG

@Valentinian has a great site about these. http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ricix/type49.html

Is there any hope of determining which ruler this is?

galba68, zumbly, Andres2 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

To me it looks like the last visible letter in the legend prior to -IVS is a "D"

If it was an "R" then the previous letter would be an "O" and it does not appear to be an "O"

So I would guess Arcadius. Also, I have seen more Arcadius coins with a desert patina than I have of Honorius, and I've handled quite a few of these in the uncleaned state.

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I might be imagining things but the next to last letter on the left has a pointy top so I would guess (no more) it is an A rather than an O. That means I agree with ancient coin hunter even though I don't see the D vs. R clearly.

5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That’s very helpful fellas. Thanks. I’m going to go out on a limb to call it Arcadius, with an added note in my cataloguing system indicating that this is a strongly probable identification, but not conclusive.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I love these and was planning a post on them sometime soonish. I agree with the others on the probable Arcadius attribution. I'd also note that the second officina is a rare one. With the lovely reverse on that coin that really was daylight robbery!

I have one where the emperor is, I think, truly indeterminate. If anyone can show me otherwise I'd be pretty pleased, but I think it would probably take a die match.
    Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 1.03.57 AM.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted