Updated my digital tray of denarii of adoptive emperors

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Limes, May 15, 2020.

1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

It started with the coin below which I could get my greedy hands on:

23.3.png

For a coin of our most famous of all gladiator-emperors (ha ha), this one really hit me because of its elegant portrait, soft toning and, despite its relatively limited relief, very bold appearance. It maybe also has to do with the flow lines that radiate outwards from the portrait and - so to say - suck you in. In hand it is even better! A real masterpiece in my opinion (at least in my price range that is!), and luckily underappreciated in the auction (many have a different definition of masterpiece ;-))

In any case, this coin, and inspired by the beautiful posters of @Deacon Ray, decided me to update my digital tray of the adoptive / antonine - emperors (although I'm nowhere near his skills :)). It's also a lot of fun playing around with your coins in this manner.

Adoptive emperors 2.png

Enough with the blabla; show your coins of commodus, and/or, other adoptive/antonine - emperors and/or digital tray!

Curtisimo, tibor, PeteB and 23 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

How about a Nerva, the first of the "good emperors"

My Nerva from Alexandria...

Type: Billon Tetradrachm, 25mm, 12.7 grams, mint of Alexandria year 96-97 A.D.

Obverse: Bust of Nerva facing right, KAIS SEB AVT NEPOVAS

Reverse: Agathodaemon serpent coiled with head right, holding caduceus and grain ear within coils, wearing the crowns of Upper and Lower Egypt. In exergue, LA.

Reference: Milne 542, Dattari 638 (rare)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

tibor, Sulla80, Limes and 13 others like this.
  4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Amazing coins - just a beautiful set!!...

Here is my set .. in bronze and certainly of lower grade.
    But happy to own them.

upload_2020-5-15_15-38-36.png

tibor, Limes, Gary R. Wilson and 12 others like this.
  5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

After reading Suetonius , I have another place for Commodus

P1200021vzvklein (2).jpg

tibor, Limes, Gary R. Wilson and 12 others like this.
  6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats a nice layout
    IMG_2879.JPG 026.JPG

tibor, Limes, Gary R. Wilson and 7 others like this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... which Commodus haven't I posted in a while?

[​IMG]
    Commodus, AD 177-192.
    Roman AR denarius, 2.29 g, 17.2 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, AD 191.
    Obv: M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT P P, laureate head, right.
    Rev: CONC COM P M TR P XVI COS VI, Concordia standing left, holding patera and scepter.
    Refs: RIC 219; BMCRE 296-97; RCV 5631; MIR 808; Cohen 45.

It doesn't look that good, but few of Commodus' late-reign denarii do. The cool thing is that it happens to be a reverse die match to the specimen in the British Museum:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tibor, Limes, Gary R. Wilson and 8 others like this.
  8. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Nice coins!

I've been reorganising my coins a bit, both physically and virtually - I had more than a year's worth of purchases to put into trays and am getting through them.

My Roman Republican coins (about 700 at the moment), are mostly in a pile of Abafil trays and stored online on Tantalus. I've got a long list on a webpage (which needs some updating), ordered by Crawford numbers, which links to the Tantalus data.

I'm very slowly working on a database which will improve selection/sorting, but it's not currently operational. I bought some books on MySQL and PHP in about 2008 and have periodically attacked it - maybe if this lockdown continues into the summer...

Anyway, last weekend, I got to arranging the the first batch of Roman post-Republican coins (Augustus) and put most of them into a tray (6 x 9). There's also a tray of earlier ones, which made it into Crawford and so are in the RR section and I have a couple more Augustus coins which will join them. Anyway, I took a photo' of the tray and made an imagemap to link the pics to Tantalus data.

My photos are mostly very bad for these and the pic of the tray is too large, so it may work better if you zoom out on the web page to see it all, or you'll have to scroll around:

http://coins.uggool.net/trays/Augustus_tray.html

I can autogenerate imagemaps if I take a standard size of photograph of each tray - e.g. using a copystand - and record the position of each coin in the database. In this case, the same imagemap code is used for each tray, with just the links being updated.

Alternatively, I could dice up the pictures into a grid of 6x9 (or 7x11 for the RR silver) images and have a mouseover for each one which brought up some information and a click could bring you to the page for each coin.

Or generate a virtual coin tray on-demand, which would update itself automagically with each new addition. Of course, at my rate of progress, the lockdown will have to continue for the rest of the roaring twenties if I'm to get this done :D

ATB,
    Aidan.

Limes and Justin Lee like this.
  9. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Limes...Nice photo display...
    Here's a few of mine... ADOPTIVE EMPEROROS X 6.jpg

Roman Collector, tibor, PeteB and 7 others like this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Super Set, @Limes! WOW, NICE!

I have multiples of these Emperors. I have yet to join mine into a single set, but here are some of mine as a Rag-Tag assembly (JUST to make it a fun denominations variety):

NERVA
    upload_2020-5-17_20-46-45.png
    RI Nerva AE Dupondius 96-98 CE LIBERTAS PVBLICA -pileus
    Ex: @TIF

TRAJAN
    upload_2020-5-17_20-47-58.png
    RI Trajan Egypt AE Dichalkon Laureate hd L Rhinoceros walking L LI-Z yr 17 CE 113-114 12.9mm 1.25g Emmet 719 var. rhino right
    Ex: SteveX6

HADRIAN
    How 'bout a LIMES! :) (And for you Modern collectors out there, the Seller is HOLDING IT IN HIS HAND!!! :D )
    upload_2020-5-17_20-49-11.png
    RI Hadrian, AD 117-138 Æ Limes Denarius 18mm 3.5mm after AD 125 Genius stndg sacrificing altar cornucopia RIC II 173
    Ex: @John Anthony

AELIUS
    upload_2020-5-17_20-51-13.png
    RI Aelius Caesar 138 CE AE As 26mm Rome mint Fortuna-Spes cornucopia and rudder

ANTONINUS PIUS
    upload_2020-5-17_20-52-45.png
    RI Antoninus Pius 138-161 CE BI Tet Alexandria Egypt Dikaiosyne Scale

MARCUS AURELIUS
    upload_2020-5-17_20-53-39.png
    RI MARCUS AURELIUS AR Den as Caesar TR POT VI COS II - Genius stg at altar hldg standard

LUCIUS VERUS
    upload_2020-5-17_20-54-23.png
    RI LUCIUS VERUS 161-169 AE24 As Rome L VERVS AVG ARMENIACVS Bare head r Mars trophy TR P IIII IMP II COS II S-C RIC 1377

COMMODUS
    upload_2020-5-17_20-55-22.png
    RI Commodus 177-192 CE AR Denarius 17.7mm 2.42g Apollo Plectrum Lyre RIC 218 RSC 25 BMCRE 292 Rare Type

thejewk, tibor, Bing and 2 others like this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Oh! @Andres2 , I like the 6 BAD Creatures...

CREATURE-FEATURE

TIBERIUS
    upload_2020-5-17_21-2-1.png
    RI Tiberius AE As 14-37 CE Laureate-Pont Max Globe Rudder sinister left RIC I 58

CALIGULA
    upload_2020-5-17_21-2-45.png
    RI Gaius Caligula AE As 37-41 CE Vesta seated S-C Sinister Left

NERO
    upload_2020-5-17_21-3-41.png
    RI Poppea-Nero BI tetradrachm of Alexandria LI yr10 63-64 CE Milne 217 RPC 5275

COMMODUS
    upload_2020-5-17_21-0-42.png
    RI Commodus 177-192 CE AR Denarius laureate hd and Hercules and Africa

CARACALA
    upload_2020-5-17_21-4-42.png
    RI Caracalla 198-217 AR Quinarius CE 213 1.3g 13.6mm Laureate - Victory Wreath Palm RIC IV 101 RSC 450 RARE

ELAGABALUS
    upload_2020-5-17_21-5-38.png

RProv AE18mm 4.3g Elagabalus CE 218-222 Thrace Philippolis Moushmov 5423

Spaniard, tibor and Bing like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't have an Aelius denarius so I'll opt for the 'show your Commodus' idea.

As Caesar
    rc2420bb0522.jpg

Young Augustus
    rc2460bb1119.jpg

My favorite mid-period portrait
    rc2490bb1823.jpg

as Hercules
    rc2580bb2015.jpg

Barbarous copy in good silver
    rc2610bb1822.jpg

Alexandria mint denarius
    rd0010bb1559.jpg

Alexandria tetradrachm /Nilus bust
    pa0460fd3408.jpg

Caesarea didrachm
    pc0360bb1952.jpg

Finally is a strange favorite of mine: AE19 2 assaria from Dionysopolis with Herakles reverse and blue patina. The B denominaton mark is retrograde making it look right as the bow of Herakles. Accident??? I really wanted the obverse die link to this coin in the last FSR sale (different reverse) but someone wanted it a lot more than I did.
    pc0340b00765lga.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted