Update to "Confessions of a Numismatics Sinner"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Too much room for the safety deposit box. If space wasn't a consideration, I would have done trays over paper envelopes. But all things considered, paper envelopes work well for my needs.

Besides, it would be cool to see if the coins will tone any (even though it's archival paper.) You never know.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Space is always a consideration. Keep in mind that not all banks use small boxes. Many offer larger ones which can accommodate trays, but of course at a higher rate. Many banks will offer either free or discounted boxes if you have an account with them. As for toning, yea, it will happen but not likely too quickly (as in your lifetime).

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Congrats on your paper envelope progress, Sallent ...

=> oh, and those cool trays would fit nicely into something like this ...

trimmed safe.jpg

:rolleyes:

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Where do the trays go?

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ahaha, c'mon man!!

=> the trays go wherever you want them to go ...

IMG_0409.JPG

=> that's an older photo (before I started collecting ancients) ... but you can adjust the shelves and/or add shelves ... it's awesome ... it's like a normal modern wardrobe, or armoire

Oh, but it weighs 600 pounds, it's bolted to the cement basement floor and it's fire-proof (not many wardrobes can claim that, eh?)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Johndakerftw, Curtisimo and Jwt708 like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Is all that coins? I know you have some currency also.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, I keep my currency in those 8" x 10" ringed binders as well ... curious, you're asking a few too many questions

:bear:

... anyway ...

Most of my currency is in "Paper-Slabs" (hey, don't judge me) ...
    and then I place those paper-slabs into hard-plastic sheets that have holes punched into them so I can put them in ringed folders !! (yah, that was my "old" life)

z2.jpg

=> hey, I still love my "modern stuff" but I certainly don't miss all of the slabs and "no touch" rules ... good riddance to rules!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  9. Ken Dorney

The nice thing about gun safes is that they can be bolted to the concrete floor and will take a blow torch and many hours to cut into them. If you are like most people there is someone home 90+% of the time so a break-in is highly unlikely. Also, depending on size they can be purchased for roughly $300 and up. So, you can store many thousands of coins cheaply. In the past I used mine primarily as temporary holding when doing shows. Now all are at the bank, but on occasion I have a need to store them for a few hours. I am not worried. They are also protected by Mr. Kalashnikov.

Curtisimo and Jwt708 like this.
  10. Ken Dorney

Oh, did I mention? I live 1 mile from the Sheriff station and a hundred well armed guys and gals. Response time would be literally a minute or two!

Curtisimo and Jwt708 like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree fully that trays are the best answer and I used them until recently when my collection size made it not practical. My bank offers boxes 10x10x24. Trays are roughly 9x13x1/2 for cheap ones and a bit more for Abfil. Trays come in sizes for small coins with 77 spaces and large ones with 24. Most useful for my uses were the middle size holding 40 coins. The boxes length would not accept two rows so I was limited to one stack of 18 trays. When a collection is between 400 (large space trays) and 1300 (small space) coins, all is well. For the last decade, I had a mix of trays and paper envelopes but now I'm all envelopes. For those of you who consider a $100,000 collection to be 100 coins at $1000 each, trays are the way. 1000 coins at $100 each overfills a box if 18 trays is the limit (my experience - your bank may differ) unless you want to rent a second box. I doubt that many >$50 late Roman bronze collectors use trays in safe deposit boxes. A lot of my coin enjoyment now comes from looking at photos. I preferred trays but 'outgrew' them. Paper envelopes in 9" red single boxes do better (44 boxes seem good for about 3000 coins but don't buy many sestertii).

I have fears of an armed robber breaking into Steve's place and forcing him to open that safe (holding his wife and dog hostage?). When he saw that the gun safe had junky old coins and not cool guns he could get really mad and start shooting. Perhaps the safer place would be to outfit one room as a nursery and store the coins in the diaper hamper.

I hope to live long enough to see Steve post that his collection will no longer fit in that safe.

stevex6, Valentinian, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  12. Ken Dorney

Wisdom in everything you say Doug. Trays and safety deposit boxes are not for everyone. Many people are keen to accumulate as many coins as they possibly can and are perhaps focused on completion of a series. This means many coins and storage limitations. Many more than can be fitted into bank box with standard boxes. I myself have determined years ago that my collection be small. I dont have the interest in completion of any series or sets, just whatever captures my attention. That being said its only 100 coins or so (I have not counted them) so I have the benefit of diversity and a diminutive stature.

Is it valuable? Maybe. My collection would never make any sales mentions (From the "Dorney Collection". Ha! Would be nice but it wont happen. More likely (but still unlikely) is a mention such as "from the Dorney estate" after I die and assuming I'm still in business at the time of my proverbial bucket being kicked, probably by my wife). Its too small and invaluable in the overall market but pleases me and that is all that matters. As such, I like to display them in Abafil. Like that Gallienus Neanderthal I mentioned earlier in another thread. On the market maybe $20, but priceless to me!

Still, before die, I hopefully intend to publish my collection and memoirs. Highly likely just a single hardbound copy for me, but as a free pdf for everyone else.

randygeki, Theodosius, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Absurd! Everyone knows that there is no crime in Canada :)
    IMG_4130.JPG

Cucumbor, stevex6, Theodosius and 7 others like this.
  14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

ROFLMAO :D :D :D

Orfew and Curtisimo like this.
  15. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Too many questions? Never. ;) btw. Can you tell us your SS# D.O.B and mothers maiden name? :D

jk.

Never knew about your paper addiction. I've got half an album full.

stevex6 and Curtisimo like this.
  16. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

"Excuse me, sir. Would you be so kind as to share with me some of your wonderful coins so that I may sell them for cigarettes and beer? It would be very much appreciated!"

This is how we rob. :cool:

Erin

17. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Active Member

"Wisdom in everything you say Doug. Trays and safety deposit boxes are not for everyone. Many people are keen to accumulate as many coins as they possibly can and are perhaps focused on completion of a series."

Yes, because whoever dies with the most coins...
    ...WINS!!!!! Right?!
    [​IMG]

stevex6 likes this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, we are as different as can be. I published a page showing my favorite 100 (actually 99 and a half) coins but, as with Harlan Berk's book that I was honoring through imitation, some of the hundred had back up coins that were closely related. His coin #9 was one of thirty shown; more of mine have two or three but every time I get a new 'favorite' I have trouble deleting one to make space so I end up with a page covering Italian incuse reverses rather than just the one that started that page. If I have trouble moving coins to the loser list, imagine how I would suffer disinheriting them like most people do. I have a new coin I want to add but first have to decide which one has to go. I feel so heartless and the coins are not going anywhere. I could not be a dealer. http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/favs.html
    [​IMG]
    Which will be next to go? Losers step forward. I'll probably cheat an rewrite a few similar items and free up a couple spaces.

Most definitely not! I do not propose having the most coins or in completing the most sets. I just don't subscribe to the theory that a $100 coin is defective because it is not a $1000 coin. Every one of my coins in the photo has a reason for being and most of my backstock (the losers that didn't make the cut) do, too. Part of that is studying the coins and learning what it is about that coin that made it something I wanted. Whoever dies with the most coins they can't bear to sell...
    ...WINS!!!!! Right!!

One of the two coins below was 200 times the cost of the other (one was a better deal). One made the list while the other is a backup (and I'd trade it away, given the chance, for the right coin). If you can't tell which is which, you don't know me.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/f56.html
    g10085fd3295.jpg

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/f72.html
    ru3850b02202lg.JPG

Pishpash, randygeki, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  19. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Active Member

"Whoever dies with the most coins, wins!"
    I was actually kidding. :smuggrin:
    Quality trump's quantity every time.

20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I dunno... tell that to the Russians in WWII... :D

Orfew and Curtisimo like this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I'm merely a fan of collecting in general ... I have a lot of varying collections (coins, cds, hockey cards, etc)

Ummm, but what I don't have a lot of, is rules!!

... I don't have a set number/limit of coins in my collections (that seems a bit too coin-claustrophobic for me)

=> I love all of the coins in my collection equally ... sure, I may brag a bit more about some of my all-stars, but there is still a place in my coin-heart for my Charlie Brown coins as well!)

I got a rock.jpg

Theodosius and randygeki like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted