Update - The Good and the Ugh, Lame :/

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Johndakerftw, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Hey everybody,

Happy Weekend!

I just wanted to give a quick update.

I have moved into my apartment, yay! Last night was my first night by myself. It was kind of scary, but I slept well. It's pretty cool to be on my own.

I'm currently binge watching Judge Judy on Youtube. Pay Attention!:cool:

That's the good part. The lame part refers to my dad and my coins. So, my brother has been working hard to convince my dad that we're not morons and that the coins that we have are authentic. Well, he was successful, finally! But, because of my dad's Ah ha! moment, he won't let me take my coins with me. :mad:

I'm in a good part of town with good people around. It's not like I'm going to put them in the window for all to see, they'll be hidden. I'm pretty frustrated by it.

Anybody have any advice on how I can convince my dad to let me bring them here? He's doing this to protect me, I totally understand. But, man, I miss them. :confused:

Also, please post completely random coins. I like randomness.

Thanks y'all!

Erin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

If they're your coins then it's your property. Does he have doubts about your security? :confused:

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  4. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

You could buy a safe and tell him they will be locked at all times? If that doesn't work just ask him to take your favorites. Also your a full grown adult their your property he doesn't have a legal say in them but I'm not sure if you want to mess up your relationship with him (if it would atleast).

Thanks,
    Jacob

Marsyas Mike and Curtisimo like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Johndakerftw

Erin, being in a "good part of town" means nothing to a criminal, and a single woman living alone is always a target. Unless your apartment has some hidden chamber or a 4-ton vault, there is no place that is safe from a crook.

Maybe you should take your father up on his offer, at least for a while.

Chris

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Well, think about it a little. If you live in a good part of town, do you think the bad guys target the poorer part of town? Give your father a chance to see how you do, how responsible you are. He will relent eventually.

7. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Kudos on having your own place! I would just enjoy having your own space for a while and see how things play out. I sometimes keep 2 or 3 coins at home to enjoy handling but leave the rest in my safe deposit box at the bank. Maybe you can do that later on.

Having good photos of my coins in cloud storage helps. I am working on getting good photos of everything organized into a word file, similar to how a CNG auction catalog is laid out. Then I can look at them from any device at any time. It is not as good as holding them in your hand, but it is better than no access. Getting a good photo takes practice. Folks on here have shown how good a photo you can get with a phone or tablet and some good lighting.

John

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  8. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Maybe you recognize this coin:

Neapolis AE 1a.jpg

Campania, Neapolis. AE20
    300-275 BC
    Obverse: Diademed head of nymph left.
    Reverse: Man-headed bull walking right, head facing; above, Nike flying right, crowning bull with wreath.

:)

9. Johndakerftw

Thanks for all the comments!

I definitely recognize that sweet MFB, Theodosius! I love it! :D

When I say 'good part of town', I'm not referring to a rich neighbourhood. There are just good people around.

My dad can be overprotective. He was actually given legal authority to make decisions on my behalf a few years ago when I was really going through a rough time. I guess this is where that comes from. I totally appreciate where he's coming from.

I'm just a bit :banghead: about it. I'll see what things are like after a week here and then talk to Dad again. At least he recognizes that the coins are real now!

Erin

10. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Definitely not worth falling out with your Dad. I would leave your collection with your parents and just take a couple to keep you company in your new place. You can change them on a regular basis. Give your Dad a few months to get used to the idea that his little girl has moved out :D

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Also, ask yourself: Is there any reason other than your father is looking out for you and your coins? I doubt it. Like @Pishpash said, give it some time.

Marsyas Mike, Pishpash and Alegandron like this.
  12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

He just wants a reason for you to come home :)

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Have 6 daughters. Give him time. No matter what, he is going to protect his baby.

Marsyas Mike and Curtisimo like this.
  14. Johndakerftw

Don't worry, Bing. My dad's only concern is safety.

Thanks for reminding me of how my dad must feel, everybody. He's such a strong guy, that it's easy to forget that he has his own emotions around me moving out.

I come back home every Saturday night and he and the rest of the family will visit almost everyday. So, I'll see them a lot.

He and my brother are at a hockey game tonight, so I'm gonna go check out my coins.

Thanks everybody!

Erin

15. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

It's nice to have parents that are always looking out for you.

Whenever I travel for work (which is a lot!) my mom still gets mad at me if I forget to text her my flight information so she can follow me on her flight app (she is scared of flying/me flying). It's nice to know there are still people that selflessly care about your well being and want to protect you even when you are an adult. I think that is where your Dad is coming from.

I do like the idea of getting a safe though! That way you can show him you are taking your coin's safekeeping seriously and he may eventually come around to seeing it your way.

Also, congrats on the new place! Now for random coins!
    IMG_4078.JPG
    IMG_4007.JPG
    IMG_4465.JPG

16. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Hi Erin—glad your doing well in your new pad! Go easy on your dad—he's going to have some anxiety for a while. He doesn't want you to have anything in your apartment that someone with no impulse control would think about stealing. He knows that if you had them in your possession and someone were to try to steal them—you might try to fight with the thief rather than surrender your coins. Better to hand over the merchandise than get into a physical confrontation with a desperate criminal. The coins are replaceable and you're not.

Anyway—here are some housewarming flowers with a few not so random denarii.

RANDOM DENARII.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  17. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Hi Erin.

I have an idea but you would have to do some preliminary work before you approach your dad.

1. Print out the best article about how ancient coin collectors love to look at and HOLD our coins;

2. Make a list of your coins and current values (at least). If you have a more detailed spread sheet list, even better.

3. Select (be able to identify) the 4 or 5 coins you are going to take out of your collection and carry away from this meeting with your dad to your new place.

4. Contact your dad and make arrangements to have his full attention for about 10 minute face to face chat. No distractions.

5. Then when you have your time with him about the coins you want to say something like: (Actually, if you need to write it out and read it, there is nothing wrong with that so that you remember to get all your points in).

"Dad, I have thought carefully about what you said about taking my (our) coin collection to the new place. You are right. It is not a smart move to take all the coins to a place before being completely settled in and really knowing my surroundings. Since one of the main joys of owning a collection of ancient coins is looking at and actually handling the coins, I have decided I will only take 4 or 5 coins with me. I appreciate it that you are willing to keep the rest of our collection here. Taking a few coins with me is going to make me happy."

Then don't forget to say:

"Thank you Dad for bringing this to my attention. You made me think about it more and I was able to see the benefits of leaving the majority of the collection here with you where I am sure they will be safe. I think it is a reasonable compromise to take just a few coins with me."

Then be sure to ask and confirm:

"Dad, are you sure that your homeowner's insurance policy will cover the loss of the coins I am leaving here with you? Can we confirm that with the company? I have made this list of the coins in the collection and their approximate current values for you to use when you speak with the insurance company."

Erin, you may need to get an appraisal of the collection for the insurance company. That should not be too hard to organize if they require it.

I don't see how a father could say 'no' to that reasonable presentation.

Good luck.

Deacon Ray and Johndakerftw like this.
  18. Johndakerftw

Thanks for the housewarming pic, Deacon Ray!

Wow, LaCointessa!

Thank you so much for your post. I really appreciate the effort you put into it and I'm definitely going to use it!

My parents rent, so I don't know how the home owner's insurance works.

Good point about an appraisal. Neither my brother or I have even thought about that. Does anybody know approximately how much getting the coins appraised would be?

It's going to be a bit of work, but it'll be worth it!

Thanks so much!

Erin

Deacon Ray and LaCointessa like this.
  19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

And...don't let anyone see your new purchases that you keep in your apartment.

Anything of value stays with dad. Plenty of folks have access to your apartment when you are away - read the lease.

Deacon Ray likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted