Update on Coin World Premier Holders

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CohibaCris, Jul 3, 2004.

1. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a set of the Coin World Premier holders, and I am super duper happy with the results.

I made sure to add a little disclaimer on the reverse label to state that the grade was my guess, and to personalize it a bit. I plan to store all of my Morgans this way (but just the Morgans for now, as it is a bit pricey).

I know I had solicited any feedback on the Coin World Premier holders, so I wanted to follow up with my results. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

Nice, cris.
    But why the disclaimer? Isn't your opinion just as good as the next guy's?

4. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

True (maybe) but it irritates me to no end when yahoos try and make these CWP holders look like a certified holder. On the off chance I sell one of this coins, I wanted to make sure I didn't have to do anything except hand it over.

Bottom line - personal frustration with the practices of others. Plus, I wouldn't feel right about it. Bloody do-gooder I am....

The next step (if the collection ever gets large enough and I am afraid it will) is looking into barcodes for the backs so I can inventory easier. But that is for another episode of SuperGeek.

5. jody526

jody526 New Member

Yep, you are one of the "good guys".
    Keep up the good work.

6. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

Glad to hear it. I just bought three sets of the premier holders (60 holder total) for my Flying Eagle and Indian cent collection. Right now they're in 2x2s in a binder with vinylish 2x2 holders, but I want to get the better dates slabbed and I'd like at least a semi-consistent look to the presentation of them. I'm obviously not going to get an XF 1907 cent slabbed, but with these holders I can have a consistent presentation, which will be cool. (The irony is, I bought the 1869 in an NGC slab -- graded AU-58 -- and I cracked it out because I wanted a "consistent presentation" in the 2x2s. The good news is that I have complete confidence it will slab at that grade again; I'm just out the money to do it.)

As far as your disclaimer goes, it's really ethical, but personally, I'd think an italicized, bold-faced disclaimer in the description of the item for sale would suffice: The grade listed in this holder is only my opinion. It is not from any grading service, reputable or otherwise, and you should offer based on YOUR opinion of the grade, not what's on the holder.

In fact, I may want to put my own label on top of a PCGS/NGC label (on the outside of the slab) if I can find a reliable way to secure it *and* get it off without a trace. I'd like to have that nice, consistent presentation (or did I already say that? :D )

If I like it, I'll do the same for my 1909-1933 Lincoln collection. All of my Morgan and Peace dollars are certified, and I've typically bought them as such -- or slabbed them after buying them raw from trusted sources which so far has exactly matched the slabbed grade in every case -- so I don't need any action there.

7. collect4fun

collect4fun Senior Member

I like the look of the case and do own some slabbed coins myself.

My only concern with doing a large part of a collection would be the additional storage space required by that large of a quantity of slab style holders.

As far as the disclaimer goes, as long as the label does not list one of the major graders, I would always question the grade of the coin inside. I really don't think it is necessary as the disclaimer brings up the question of the grade just by being there.

Instead, come up with a neat design or name for yourself or for the collection itself and place it on the backside of the label.

8. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

Yes, but you, I and others here are experienced collectors and we've learned this.

The fact that people still buy "uncirculated" Morgans for $49.95 (which are slider or *maybe* MS-60 1921s worth less than $20) from these television shopping shows tells you that not everyone who buys is this savvy.

I've seen enough scam artists on eBay listing coins that "look" certified to understand why an ethical seller would go out of their way to be associated with it. All those "NCG" (not NGC) items I've seen come to mind there.

9. jody526

jody526 New Member

Personally, I would always question the grade of any coin I was interested in. ;)

10. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Well, that whole fancy design business is a lot harder than the disclaimer, and it required creativity and not paranoia. Nope, sorry. Can't do it... :D ;)

On a serious note, the space thing is an issue. I am trying to figure out the next sized safe that I will have to buy in order to secure everything. But I guess it comes down to what you are interested in for the coin storage question. Size, conveinence, presentation, preservation. My triggers are presentation and preservation.

At least I won't have to worry with a Dansco plastic window scratching the patuey out of an MS-65 Semi Key!!!

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

A word of advice about that safe - buy one with a burlglary rating. And buy it at least twice as big as you think you need :eek:

Trust me on this one - I've had to do that 3 times now ;)

12. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Believe me, I know what you mean. We dropped a safe in a few weeks ago, got it bolted down and low and behold but our collections barely fit in it.

Looks like it is one of those safes that they bring in with a crane. I certainly won't be bringing it into the house. :D

13. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Hey, I just started looking around, and ran across an idea.

What, if anything, do you folks know about vault doors? If one were building a new home, why wouldn't a 10x10' room with a vault door (secure room of course) be a better answer than a safe?

14. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I understand your feeling that you need a disclaimer, but why use "guess" instead of "opinion"?
    If I remember correctly, the last vault door I sold (when we closed a branch of the bank I was working for about 20-some years ago) went for over $50,000, with the buyer responsible for deinstalling, moving and reinstalling! And making a room "secure" ain't cheap my friend!

15. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Well, there are doors for what a comparable safe would cost, and concrete filled, rebar reinforced cinder block walls.....

I was just thinking it through. If it is double the cost of a big safe, it would be worth it.

On the disclaimer, I use opinion. Guess is a little sketchy, if not more accurate. But I use opinion on the slab. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted