Unwelcome catalog in the mail

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by xlrcable, Dec 1, 2015.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I hear you OP. Like someone else said, if YOU feel unsafe that is the important thing.

Myself, I get stuff all of the time. Every week some kind of coin thing shows up in my mailbox. I don't stress it though since anything of value I put in a safe until the next trip to the SDB. If particularly valuable I take to SDB the next day. This is how I feel safe while my mailman knows I must be a coin collector. That, and the fact I tip him every Christmas. :) The tip may not help, but he knows me now and gets a kick out of all of the weird stamps he sees.

Everything in life has some risk. I am guessing many things you do OP has a higher risk than your mailman knowing you are a coin collector. Still, its your comfort. Contact MCM and ask to be taken off their mailing list, and let them know its because of their graphics.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's coincidental that you mention Florida. I was just about to mention that security at the FUN Show has gotten stricter over the years. Some of the dealers object to their photos being taken (unless they know the person) because the photos could be used to identify the dealer when they leave the building.

Chris

4. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Feeling safe doesn't mean you're actually secure. Security comes from knowing what you have, having a plan to protect it, and understanding the costs and pitfalls of doing so.

And when I say protection of assets - I mean against loss. Insurance, bank vault, controlling who has access to it, a safe, or more defensive measures.

As an example, if all you are worried about is theft - and you live near a flood area, you may have the best floor safe in the world - a burglar alarm and self defense training money can buy. But the day the house floods - everything you value will be under water. You will only then realize that the best investment you could have made was air tight plastic freezer bags. :)

5. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

My Coinage comes unwrapped.
    Years ago, I ordered coins thru the mail, and the box was stamped on the outside, "MACHINE PARTS"
    Cant even trust the mail

6. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

I got one of these too... I found them without a printed catalog and I have ordered from them without a printed catalog. Why they feel I need one now is beyond me. Seems like a waste on paper and postage. Into the recycle bin it went...

The US Mint mails them out too. Funny thing is, many of the products I end up buying are sold out before the catalog including those products actually arrives.

Jwt708 likes this.
  7. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

Fellas, I'm not losing any sleep over one catalog. I thought it was an odd thing for a retailer to do, but apparently it's not so unusual after all. And anyway, the collection here isn't worth a fortune, and it's deficient enough in large shiny coins that I'm not even sure a burglar would bother to pick it up.

I have a relative who's spent the last forty years preparing for the economic Armageddon that's always just around the corner - you know the type. He talks about it, and when his back is turned everyone who knows him starts joking about the hoard of gold coins that he must have hidden in the walls of his house. I actually do worry that this sort of talk will reach the wrong pair of ears one day (though I don't envy the person who decides to break into that house).

To the extent that I have a security strategy at all, it's to avoid looking like this guy, and a steady stream of ads from bullion dealers wouldn't help with that - mail in our neighborhood is chronically delivered to the wrong house. But this was just one ad. I'll find something else to worry about.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah, I tried to take a picture of the bourse two years ago and security had a fit.......:)

9. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

My last few issues of The Numismatist came unwrapped, unlike the first few issues I received. I worried about it for a bit, then realized that, unless the mailman is out to get me, there's little chance that anyone else will even see the magazine (my mail goes into a locked box). And if someone were to break into my house looking for valuables, they wouldn't find anything too fantastic because anything I'm really nervous about keeping at home goes into a vault.

Plus, anyone who wants to break into a home can probably find far more interesting reasons than coins to do so. Still, it pays to be careful.

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

I think in our current economic climate the camoflage of a black plastic bag like Coin World uses keeps the low-lifes looking elsewhere for targets,that and sending it to my p.o. box keeps the snakes away too.....

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Just a thought:

Take the catalogue and mark it return to sender,

poof!

You are off the mailing list

12. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

I get bright colorful illustrated ads in the mail for fast food (coupons, specials, etc.) all of the time. I sure hope some junkie with the munchies isn't staking out my house looking for that chance to steal my McNugget hoard.

[​IMG]

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That closes my arteries just to look at it....

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I just had to search for an image of that one! :woot: Interesting!
    2014-AVENGERS-HULK.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted