Unwelcome catalog in the mail

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by xlrcable, Dec 1, 2015.

1. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

I don't know how many coins I've had mailed to my house over the years, but I can't recall ever receiving a package that wasn't labeled discreetly, or any piece of mail that called attention to my being a collector. Until yesterday, when this showed up at my front door:

IMG_0394.JPG

At the risk of sounding paranoid or at least over-irritable, isn't this a bit of a bonehead move on the part of this company? Am I the only one who objects to having a large full-color "coin collector" flag delivered to his mailbox? (After looking inside the thing, I might also like to explain to these folks exactly what the odds are of my ever buying a graded ASE, or any coin with the Incredible Hulk on it, but I suppose that's more a matter of personal taste.)

As long as I've got my tinfoil hat on, I'll also say I can't help wondering where they got my address. But I guess it's possible I bought something from them a long time ago that I can't remember. Well, never again.

OK, I feel better. If you think I'm being oversensitive I won't fight back ;)

paddyman98, Kentucky, green18 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Safety is a perception, you need to do what ever makes you feel safe.

4. Tydot310

Tydot310 Member

While sending that to your mailbox like that was stupid and inconsiderate I have dealt with mcm quite a bit. There shipping is fast and customer service is great. They are one of my first stops for certain thing's.

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@xlrcable

First, I'd like to say that John Maben of MCM is well-respected in the numismatic community, and he has always been willing to listen to complaints and/or suggestions. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who don't know that he sold the business not too long ago but he is still serving in an executive capacity. It's possible that the new owner(s) want to try to re-connect with some of the older customers. Perhaps, if you contact them and explain that the blatant advertising concerns you, maybe they will consider redesigning their packaging.

Chris

6. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Paranoid much?

phankins11 and Amos 811 like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

The Mint does the same thing.

Kasia, jwitten, green18 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Coin World comes here in a mostly opaque plastic bag.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

FWIW, I switched to a USPS box because I didn't want packages shipped to my home address.

Chris

10. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

That's kinda overkill on being paranoid... even a little, don't you think? The Mint, Littleton, PCS, and everyother coin company, including Numismatic News is delivered right to my mailbox... I could care less what it says, I'm just happy the mail lady reads the address right and I get it.

green18 likes this.
  11. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Should be sent in "plain brown envelope" like the "other" mail ;)!

[​IMG]

12. Tydot310

Tydot310 Member

I prefer that sellers be discreet. Have had an issue of UPS drop offs being stolen off people's porches in my neck of the woods lately.

13. Tydot310

Tydot310 Member

Of course these days it would probably be hard to give a 10 oz bar of silver away. People are so clueless more often than not.

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. I'm bothered by the FUN publications I get in the mail, and I have a PO box. :)

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's an advertising catalog. Why wouldn't they want to get their name out where people can see it? As a sales company they are not trying to be discrete. The US Mint, Valley View, Chattanooga Coins are but a few companies that do the same thing. Even trade magazines like Cold and Stamp World, do the same. It also controls their mailing costs.

The solution, get a PO Box at your local office, like me. Call them and ask for it to be mailed undercover, stop buying from them and tell them to remove you from the mailings or see a doctor about being paranoid. :)

charlietig likes this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear - I'm not opposed to these catalogs. In fact I got my US Mint one today.

17. spenser

spenser Active Member

I get numismatic news, coin world weekly, coin age. littleton, and several other types of coin mail that isn't covered. The only one I get that is covered is coin world monthly.

18. spenser

spenser Active Member

My mail lady probably think's it's playboy:p

19. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

May I suggest also collecting guns? :)

imrich, paddyman98, wmichael and 5 others like this.
  20. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

My mail lady BELONGS in Playboy. It was quite a pleasant surprise when the old guy retired.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I run into quite a bit of security hypersensitivity where I live and work. I frankly don't get it. One former central PA dealer was so sensitive he refused to be pictured inside The Numismatist. He recently moved to Florida. He thought he had problems here?!? Oy vey!

wmichael and swamp yankee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted