Unwanted Foreign Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Alaska Dude, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Alaska Dude

Alaska Dude New Member

What do you do with unwanted foreign coins you find at the coin counting machine?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Give them away usually.

4. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

The paper delivery kids love them.

5. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

Mine usually go the coin club auction table - handful for a dollar

6. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I left some in a Coinstar machine.

:)

7. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

I like foreign coins.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

If you can determine what country each coin is from then take a trip there and spend them. But they might be demonitized (no longer used)

9. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

FleaBay is your friend. Post 10 of each country, 99c start price 99c shipping

10. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

I recently attended a coin show, walked up to a table which included a pick box of world coins, and asked the dealer if I could add about 60 coins to his box. He said 'yep!', I said 'awesome!', dumped the coins, and walked away with a smile. It was a veritable "Win-Win" in my book. Most were coins I had bought (overpaid) as a child from Littleton. I would have listed them on eBay, but it's just not worth the time. Sadly. :-/

Stevearino, buckeye73 and paddyman98 like this.
  11. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

I'm at that age where when giving away stuff I say "Thanks for taking that off my hands." Your coin dealer story reminds me of the time I was in a used book store and a little boy brought in a wagon-full of books. Dealer says "$5 for the whole lot, $10 just for this one book." Dealer explains: "I am in effect charging you $5 for me to take all those other books out to my dumpster."

philologus_1 likes this.
  12. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Start one of those "Free Libraries". Just can't stand to see books thrown away.

John Johnson likes this.
  13. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Donate foreign coins to your local boy scouts. Their members can use them to earn the coin collecting merit badge. Helps them and maybe starts a new coin collector who will grow up and want to buy your coins from you or your estate.

JeffC, Mountain Man and philologus_1 like this.
  14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I keep any coins or currency, foreign or not. I've traveled the world and always brought back coins and currency as a memento. I usually kept the ones that had what I considered to be the best artwork and/or historical depictions. I'm going through all of mine right now and found that I had several silver coins and a couple of really old coins worth good money, according to NGC current values. If you don't want to spend the time to find the worth of your coins, then Harley's idea of giving them to the Boy Scouts is a good one.

15. ToppCatt

ToppCatt ToppCatt

There is a drug store in our town that has a free bookrack in their lobby that is very busy with customers picking up and depositing used books. I shed about five years worth of collector and antique magazines from the '70s about six at a time over a period of months until they were all gone.

Stevearino likes this.
  16. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I give many to the Boy Scouts for their collecting merit badge

NYandW and Stevearino like this.
  17. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Are Scouts still engaged in this, or a rarity?

18. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Most scouts here in Idaho get the collecting badge

19. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I have an old cookie can that I've been putting them in for about 35 years. There are around 1,500 coins in that can now.

20. Nathan F

Nathan F Well-Known Member

Coins are so small unless you have an insane amount they won’t take up very much room. Personally I would just keep them, no loss there!

21. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

We get 50-100 scouts at TNA shows for their badge. Last show they had to run two sessions

Draft saved Draft deleted