Unusually Well-rendered for the Type

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by arizonarobin, Mar 10, 2019.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I am sorry to inform you that the Constans galley is a modern fake.

Orange Julius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

:( How disappointing, @Clavdivs... I enjoyed all your observations about the coin. I hope you can get a refund.

Continuing the theme of this marvellous thread, Carthaginean shekels come in a wide variety of styles, but I think this one is quite lovely (300-264 BCE, SNG Cop 151):
    Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.04.37 AM.jpg

For comparison, here's a rather unlovely one from a Sardinian mint, same time (SNG Cop 173):
    Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 10.18.11 AM.jpg

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

:D :D :D
    You can never go wrong with a Carthagenian coin! Both of yours are great ones...

Same as your first one...
    upload_2019-8-17_13-50-11.png
    Carthage 300-264 BCE AE 19 Sardinia 19mm 5.62g Tanit wreathed Horse hd r ayin SNG COP 151 JP Righetti collection

Same as your second one... I love the sprues on yours and mine.
    upload_2019-8-17_13-48-12.png
    Carthage-Sardinia 300-264 BCE AE Shekel Tanit Horse Head Palm 18mm 4.8g sprues SNG Cop 173 - no pellet below Left

5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

That ex Righetti coin is spectacular!!

Alegandron likes this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

In my bottom-feeding, low budget experience, those Carthage horse-head types can be stunningly beautiful, and affordable. I have several, mostly culled from junky miscellaneous lots, and despite the grade, I am sometimes amazed at how beautiful some of them can be artistically.

This is one of my favorites, enhanced, I think, by the blotchy, multi-hued patina:

Carthage Horse Head Sep 18 (9).JPG

7. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Some beautiful detailed coins in this thread:woot:
    Here's one from my collection...
    Hephthalites. Nezak Huns.. AR drachm. "Napki Malka" series. .
    Circa 515.680 A.D.
    Obverse..Bust right wearing winged-bull head-dress. Pahlavi legends nycky MLK-A
    Reverse:Fire altar with attendants, Solar wheels above.
    3.41 grams....24.64 mm.
    Vondrovec [Göbl] 198
    1-normal_YJs7pD6iEQf53LZxPmP8SR9q2RgWa4.jpg

8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Sorry @maridvnvm I just saw your post and I thank you for the input. I will have no problem getting a refund as I know the seller. Is there a link or any other information I can point to when communicating with the seller?

I really didn't expect such an inexpensive coin to be faked.. but looking at it now the portrait does look a bit "soapy" but hard to say with that photo.. I guess when I get it in hand I will have a better look. I am certainly no expert in these matters.

I am disappointed obviously but not the end of the world at all.
    We learn from our mistakes..

9. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

People often think of the FEL TEMP horseman types as being below the quality benchmark for collecting. This might well be the case in general as they are available in prolific numbers and the quality of the output is very variable. Some mints did produce some high quality output in the series.

This one may be common but is a pleasing example of the type.

Constantius II - AE2

Obv:– D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, Pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed, bust right
    Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Helmeted soldier to left, shield on left arm, spearing falling horseman; shield on ground at right. Horseman is bearded and falls forward reaching towards emperor
    Minted in Antioch (Gamma | _ //ANS). A.D. 350-355
    Reference:- RIC VIII, Antioch 132

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted