Unusual Vignettes on Paper Money

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by scottishmoney, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

ggsalexan - that's a hemp brake.
    Quote from this linked page: (see photo too)
    http://www.cointalk.com/threads/unusual-vignettes-on-paper-money.180182/page-3
    "The hemp brake works much the same way a flax break works. Hemp had to first be cut and then shocked into bundles to dry. When the hemp was sufficiently seasoned it was taken by the armload and laid across the break while the operator moved the brake handle up and down repeatedly. I imagine this was back breaking work that would built up some serious deltoid and triceps muscles. As the brake was moved up and down it crashed into the stalks and the woody outer shell would fall away leaving the long stands of fiber. The stands then would be gathered and ran through a set of "hackles" (a set of spikes) to comb the fibers into usable product. For rope production the fibers were then twisted, and for cloth production they were of course woven. I have seen this process completed for flax at the Frontier Culture Museum in Staunton, Virginia, and it is just tiring to watch it let alone perform it for hours and hours a day."

kaparthy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Fascinating! Many thanks for uncovering this bit of history for me. So the laborer in the photo that you linked to looks like he's wearing some kind of overall outfit. Do you think that's kind of the same thing they are wearing in the engraving? Or do those look more like military uniforms? It would make sense if they were making roped for the Army, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions.

Btw, here's an image of a hemp hackle:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_c31dGDQy_zo/S-2iUe5PJZI/AAAAAAAAFFM/I0o4AG8GYpY/s1600/hackles (Small).JPG

And workers pulling the hemp fibers through the hackle to "comb" them out:
    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/Moments06RS/47_hemp.jpg

This has to be where the term "got your hackles up" originated!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  4. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

gsalexan likes this.
  5. gsalexan

Okay, here's a dust-off bump for a thread I really enjoy. And I'll add something to it.

This vignette is entitled "Battle of the Frogs" -- when I first saw it on a note I thought "what on earth?" But there's a story attached to it that goes back to the colonial era, when Indian attacks were an actual threat. You can read more here and see why Windham Bank used it on a number of their banknotes.

Frogs vignette.jpg
    [​IMG]

midas1, chrisild and Jwt708 like this.
  6. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

lol great story

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Battle of the Frogs is awesome!

8. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Don't mean to "hijack" this but had to comment about milking technique. I always used two hands and held the bucket between my knees; kept her from sticking her hoof in the bucket; believe me they will do it if you put the bucket on the ground. You can't quit milking fast enough to move the bucket. Always just used my forearms to push her back if necessary, which was seldom.

midas1 likes this.
  9. techwriter

Back to the subject at hand; I don't suppose this one is unusual as such but it is such a different venue and such design work and I have no clue what the creatures depicted are. Oh it is a replacement (star) note too.
    Anyway, Uzbekistan 1994 5 Sum P-75
    [​IMG]

saltysam-1, gsalexan and midas1 like this.
  10. techwriter

Found a couple that are somewhat unusual:

Switzerland 1000 Francs
    [​IMG]

Ceylon 50 Rupees
    [​IMG]

saltysam-1, midas1 and gsalexan like this.
  11. gsalexan

Love the ant note! What would possess the Swiss to put those on their currency?

12. techwriter

Pictured is the large red ant ( formica rufa ) common in Switzerland,blue-winged ant ( stronglylognatus huberi ) common in the Swiss Valais region; New Guinea red ant ( polyrhachis caulomma ) .

13. gsalexan

Okay, here's another weird stock I recently rediscovered -- Corn Products Refining Co. The vignette features an Indian princess (in war paint, it appears) with the body of an ear of corn! Captions, anyone?

Corn Products stock.jpg Corn Products stock cu.jpg

14. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

Captions, huh?
    'Ear she comes just a walking down the street, singing doo wah diddy diddy dum diddy doo.

"Corn ya' ear me now?"

I won't say that corn dress makes her look fat... Let's just call it 'husky'

midas1 and gsalexan like this.
  15. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Dave L you're a funny guy!

A kernel of humor goes a long way.

16. gsalexan

I can't believe it's been almost two years since anyone has posted on this thread. Well, I've picked up some unusual vignettes (mostly on stocks and bonds) in the intervening months so it's time to blow the dust off and get some more oddball pictures out there. Like ...

A pelican and an oil well gusher

Louisiana Land cu.jpg
    Louisiana Land.jpg

A subway tunnel

Hudson & Manhattan circular tunnel cu.jpg
    Hudson & Manhattan circular tunnel.jpg

An American doubledecker bus

Phila Rapid Transit cu.jpg
    Phila Rapid Transit.jpg

A horse fair

CT Nat Bank of Bridgeport cu.jpg
    CT Nat Bank of Bridgeport.jpg

And Pocahontas saving John Smith

Pocohontas.jpg
    Pocahontas Fuel Co.jpg

Anyone else have something to post? :)

17. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Most excellent vignettes Greg, thanks for sharing.

gsalexan likes this.
  18. gsalexan

Almost forgot this one. This is an 1848 promissory note from Boston. At first glance it seemed like nothing particularly special. Then I looked closely at the ornamental bar on the left. The eagle in the oval looked familiar. Then I realized it was actually a coin! It's the back side of a 2-1/2 dollar gold piece, but somehow in the process of creating an engraved image, it got stretched and reversed. Using Photoshop I've flipped it and squashed it to show the coin's original orientation.

1848 Boston w gold coin.jpg

1848 w gold coin cu.jpg

1848 w gold coin flipped.jpg

19. gsalexan

Time to put some more unusual discoveries out there. Like...

Daniel Boone saved by Simon Kenton during the Northwest Indian War
    KGE Boone vignette.jpg
    Loading cotton bales
    Loading cotton.jpg
    Barnyard pigs and peacocks
    Peoples Bank note cu.jpg
    And a coal stoker keeping the locomotive boiler hot.
    Coal stoker.jpg

midas1 likes this.
  20. gsalexan

Another year has past and no one has added to this thread. So I'll post some of the interesting vignette proofs I picked up in 2019. I have yet to find these on currency or stocks/bonds, but I'm always looking!

Electric cherub cu.jpg
    Beatrice FNB cu.jpg
    Galatea cherubs.jpg
    Quadriga.jpg

Paradise.jpg

midas1 likes this.
  21. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Does anybody remember the name of the Stock Certificate, Ephemera Show held in Virginia during January? I went several years ago. I want to attend this January if it hasn't already happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted