Unusual Vignettes on Paper Money

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by scottishmoney, Jun 10, 2011.

1. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ObsoleteCurrency

ObsoleteCurrency I like old money.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that page.

4. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Love those red vignettes

5. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing guys! Anyone know where i could get a sopy of the book you mentioned?

6. gsalexan

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

RickieB was in touch with Gene Hessler, and several of us bought that and the first edition for not very much. They also were delivered autographed and with a nice intaglio print in them. They are the newest books in my glass cased rare books bookshelf.

8. jhinton

9. gsalexan

My copy's autographed, too, but for someone else. :) First I've heard about the intaglio print, though. What was the vignette?

10. gsalexan

Whoops! I apologize jhinton! You were asking about "The Story the American Bank Note Company" not "The Engraver's Line." Both great books, btw, but the ABNC book does contain actual engraved vignettes (a lot). If you can pick up a copy for $50 these days, that's a fair price. I recommend Bookfinder.com or Biblio.com.

11. jhinton

yes I was talking about the ABNC book but I am glad you showed me the other one as well. I have already found a copy of the ABNC book and it is on it's way to my house!

Thanks guys!

12. jhinton

I found a modified example of one of the "1" counters you posted. It is from The Merchants Bank, Washington D.C. dated July 1852.

Washington, DC - The Merchants' Bank $1 July 1852.jpg

13. gsalexan

I thought it would be fun to bump up this thread and show some of the unusual frame ornaments that appear on stocks and bonds. Not exactly paper money, but all produced by bank note engravers. As I was examining my collection I was surprised to find how many sphinxes were discretely used as ornaments.

Attached Files:

14. gsalexan

And a couple unusual animal vignettes from New York Bank Note.

Attached Files:

15. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

yugo 10dinar_1_cropped.jpg
    10 dinar yugoslav note

sierra leone 1000_1_cropped.jpg
    sierra leone 1000 leone note

16. gsalexan

Bai Bureh is kind of creepy looking. What's his story?

17. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

"Bai Bureh (1840 – August 24, 1908) was a Sierra Leonean ruler and military strategist who led the Temne and Loko uprising against British rule in 1898 in Northern Sierra Leone. . . "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bai_Bureh

sierra leone 1000_1.jpg sierra leone 1000_2.jpg

18. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

While not exactly unusual I like these two:

chicago rock island specimen bond  train vignette1.jpg

five de javasche bank obv.jpg

19. gsalexan

I like both of those, Mike -- and the Java banknote costumes are definitely unusual.

Here's a couple stock vignettes I scanned the other day. Niagara Falls was probably engraved in the 1880s; the safe is more like 1840-50, maybe earlier.

Attached Files:

20. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Thanks Gregg. You have some interesting vignettes there.
    Hopefully, I can pick up some interesting new notes at the
    Baltimore Whitman show.

Mike

21. gsalexan

Any Civil War historians out there? I have an American Bank Note vignette that has stumped me for an explanation. Depicted are two black men, who appear to be in uniform, but what are they doing? The implement being used looks like it either cuts or crushes a bundle of straw. Or maybe sticks. Any ideas? Civil War straw chopping.jpg

kaparthy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted