unusual two headed penny not what you would think

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dakota, Jul 7, 2010.

1. dakota

dakota New Member

I have a 1967 penny that my son found it has directly across from Lincolns face a stamp of Kennedy's Head. Does anyone have any ideas about this coin and if it is worth anything. I have never seen anything like it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

Need photos, but there are some double denomination coins out there. I have this one.

[​IMG]

4. krispy

krispy krispy

Does it look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If so, it's considered counter-stamped, done after Minting by a third party and sold as a novelty for collectors. It would have very minimal collector value, if any. Counter-stamped coins are fun to collect. I have some of these myself but they are of no real numismatic value.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. dakota

dakota New Member

yes it does thank you he was sad to hear that he was so excited he thought he had really found something he was already talking about what he was going to buy when he sold it lol. hes 10

6. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

Yeah, I have one of those... given to me by my grandmother.

7. krispy

krispy krispy

Hey dakota, it's simple coins like this that can spark a life time of interest in collecting, learning about and/or dealing in coins, which could lead to your son owning some excellent high value numismatic coins someday. You might have a Young Numismatist on your hands there. :)

8. Sandymorse

Sandymorse New Member

Are you willing to sell any by any chance? I found one as a teenager years ago and trusted an elderly lady to find out its worth. I never saw her or the penny again. She moved real quick. I just want it for my penny collection if the price is cheap enough.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sandymorse, do you realize you are responding to a thread that is five years old?

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You can find plenty of these counterstamped cents on eBay. Some for less than $5 bucks!

11. paddyman98

I found one once metal detecting with a bunny image.
    Bunny01.jpg

12. krispy

krispy krispy

Old thread, and those examples are not ones I have. Just similar to others. As others said, there are plenty out there you can find available for sale. I'd go to eBay for such things.

13. Sandymorse

Sandymorse New Member

Okay. Thank you

14. Orlin bonilla

Orlin bonilla New Member

I found one penny of 1978 d with two head ,,this is real penny or trick ?

15. paddyman98

Most Likely a trick Cent. It's real but 2 Cents with the reverse sides worn off then stuck togother.

16. Jennifer Schmidt

Jennifer Schmidt New Member

Does or would a certain year (1973) of the same Lincoln Kennedy head cent from Delaware mint mark have similar dollar value?

17. paddyman98

Er.. what? o_O

18. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Counterstamped coins are only worth face value numismatically. They are considered as damaged by coin collectors. However, there are quite a few people that collect counterstamped coins, I even own a few. They seem to fetch a dollar or two on ebay.

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I found one once metal detecting with a bunny image.

I believe that is the Playboy Magazine trademark.

:)

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. paddyman98

You are correct!.. I just did not want to mention the word 'Playboy' on CoinTalk :shy:

21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

D is for Denver not Delaware.
    The Lincoln Kennedy cent is worth 1 cent. Although people will pay a little more
    for it, as a curiousity/ collector.

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted