Unusual markings on bu quarters. Errors or intentional markings?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Richard Kennedy, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Richard Kennedy

Richard Kennedy Active Member

Quarter roll hunting today I have ran across an issue I have not seen before. There is an x marking across multiple bu state quarters. All are from the same mint roll and different states. A shame because these are beautiful coins except for the markings. Anyone seen this before? Someone intentional doing this or mechanical scratches or mint?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Richard Kennedy

This is very disturbing. The same issue on roll two but only in BU state coins. Everyone of them are marked.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I was going to joke about CRH marking coins they searched but it is not funny. Obviously, that's done to mark the coins. Nail polish is too expensive now.

5. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Those are intentional scratches (imo). No telling why, only the person who did it would know.

Also, all 6 coins show evidence of circulation or handling damage, so not BU.
    …Spark

6. Richard Kennedy

Hard to yummy anders try and how anyone would have access to the Ii s many coins in a vbox of rolled quarters. The on look ones marked are the mirrored like by state quarters and why a person would do it. I am more inclined to think mechanical cause. All are also Denver mint

7. Insider

You are absolutely correct! Someone took a "tool" of some kind and scratched the coins. One thing for 100% certainty it did not happen at the Denver Mint! :D

Cazador likes this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Interesting how the line that goes through Muir does not go over but under him and continues in a perfect straight line.

9. Richard Kennedy

Disgusting someone would this. Thanks to all.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

This is a disgrace that someone would destroy these coins in this manner.
    Sorry.

11. Richard Kennedy

I am not buying this. I have 42 XF or better coins with these markings out of 6 bank rolls of quarters. This makes no sense coming from the reserve rolled in a box. Every XF coin is marked. Who would have the time to do this and this many in random rolls. Makes no sense someone is intentionally doing this.

12. Insider

Lucky Man! You must have received one of those shipments of Mint errors on their way to be destroyed. Their mistake and now your treasure. I think you should put them on Ebay as Mint Errors and you'll become a very popular seller. Best to have them slabbed at NGC or PCGS so they will bring you more money. Lets see, 42 x approx. $100 is $4200 less about $1600 for grading and shipping clears you around $2600! Not a bad return for you. You'll get much less if you try to sell them "raw." Post your "find" on the Coin roll hunting forum and make everyone jealous.

Dynoking, expat and tommyc03 like this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

@Richard Kennedy One question as I can’t tell from the photos because my eyes are so tired but are those lines raised on the coins?

14. Richard Kennedy

Yes you can scratch across them with your nail.

15. Richard Kennedy

I now have 68 coins out of 20 rolls. D468C33C-A7C9-4BF8-ACF1-6FFAB4EED66D.jpeg

16. Richard Kennedy

Going back after more rolls tomorrow.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All damaged so spend them.

18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Damaged. Why? Who knows? Why would the mint remove a die from service, cancel it, then strike more coins?

Finding them in mixed rolls should give you an idea that they were from a customer, not the mint. They are random circulated quarters from a bank deposit or coin star that were rolled By a bank or one of the distributors like Brinks.

You can also see from the pics that they are scratches. The lines are indented. What you perceive as raised, is actually displaced metal from the scratch.

The mint does not deface the used dies with thin scratches. They either torch or grind the complete design from the die. A few Atlanta Olympic dies were defaced with an X and were sold to collectors and look nothing like the scratches on your coin

I recommend using some of your coin searching time to study the minting and die making processes. in the long run, you'll waste a lot less if you continue to search for errors.

R.jpeg

s-l1000.jpg

tommyc03 and Spark1951 like this.
  19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Coin shop owner to apprentice: "These coins have no collector value, so mark them off." Apprentice proceeds to "mark them off." Ya can't fix stupid. LOL

tommyc03 likes this.
  20. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

They're all damaged - nothing more

Draft saved Draft deleted