Unusual Marc Antony Legion VI Ferrata Denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jb_depew, Jul 28, 2017.

?

Could this be a fourrée?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

I do not know much about this type, but here is a well worn Marc Antony Legion VI Ferrata Denarius I picked up a while back. It seemed unusual to me for a couple of reasons:
    1. The galley seems to be in 3/4 perspective, versus the "flat" presentation I normally see.
    2. At the very tip of the prow, I see a little fleck of bronze or copper. Could this be a fourrée or is there another explanation? If it is a fourrée, I thought there would be more evidence, given how worn it is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coin Details:
    Autumn 32 - Spring 31 BC
    Military mint moving with Antony
    Obverse: ANT•AVG III•VIR•R•P•C, praetorian galley to right. Translation: Antonius Augurus Triumviri Rei Publicae Constituandae ([Mark] Antony, Triumvirate for the Restoration of the Government)
    Reverse: LEG VI , Legionary eagle (Aquila) between two standards. Translation: Legio VI (The Sixth Legion)
    References: RCV# 1479
    Size: 17mm
    Weight: 3.53g

Some fun history behind the coin:

This is the famous legionary coinage of Mark Antony honouring 23 roman legions along with the praetorian cohorts and the cohort of speculatores.

Legio sexta ferrata ("Sixth Ironclad Legion") was a legion of the Imperial Roman army. It probably originated from the Republican general Pompey's 6th legion in Spain. In 30 BC it became part of the emperor Augustus's standing army. It continued in existence into the 4th century. A Legio VI fought in the Roman Republican civil wars of the 40s and 30s BC. Sent to garrison the province of Judaea, it remained there for the next two centuries.

The Legion was also known as Fidelis Constans, meaning "loyal and steadfast". It is unclear when this title was given, but several sources indicate that it may have been in the 1st century AD. The symbol for Legio VI Ferrata was the bull. It also carried the symbolic she-wolf with Romulus and Remus.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It does look odd in the positioning of the ship, but I see nothing to condemn the coin. I see the bronze sticking through, so it may be a fouree. Short of cutting off a section, you may never know for certain.

My poor example of Leg VI Sexta Ferrata
    Marcus Antonius  4.jpg

4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I think the bronze or copper you are seeing is either toning or deposits on the coin, it appears to be solid silver to me especially given the weight which is in the normal range for solid examples of the type. As far as the strangeness with the perspective, your coin is double struck. Basically it was struck, rotated a bit, then struck again. You can get some really strange looking coins from this process especially with types like this where most were not struck evenly and so both strikes were likely only partial strikes.

5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Alegandron and jb_depew like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

RATS! No Legio VI... I need to catch up to @Bing 's cool Antonius Legio collection!

Congrats on your cool Legio VI @jb_depew ! You won't go wrong with @red_spork 's advice... he knows the Republican and Imperatorial coinage well!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

Thanks! I appreciate all the info and replies.

8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Interesting coin. I do not have a legion VI. I only have one legionary denarius.
    MA Antiquae.jpg

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Want to get rid of it? You know who to call.

Mikey Zee, Alegandron and Orfew like this.
  10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I would agree that it does not seem to be a fourree.
    The 'ship-side' does look unusual, but this may be due to a double strike as red_spork mentions.

My example of Legio VI Ferrata:

Marcus Antonius Legionary Denarius LEG VI-obv - 1.jpg Marcus Antonius Legionary Denarius LEG VI-Rev - 1.jpg

jb_depew, Mikey Zee, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted