Unusual Greek

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Dec 11, 2018.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The reverse of this bronze coin reads in Greek " MetroPoleos", around an instrument or what looks like a small wine bottle surmounted by a monogram which includes the reversed Greek letter Rho. All this within a wreath of grape leaves. The obverse has the bust of a bare- head man/ right. I don't know if he's an Emperor.
    The coin weighs 8.85 g. - Dimension is 23mm. Please post your views. Metro O 001.jpg Metro R 001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Interesting. I immediately tried to find something for Metropolis in Thessaly, but it seems that city almost always used the inscription MHTPOΠOΛΙTΩN. Same with the cities of that name in Ionia and Phrygia.

I wonder if that's the club of Hercules on the reverse, not a wine bottle. Here's a small AE from Nicopolis with Septimius Severus and the club of Hercules:

Severus Nicopolis Club AE 16.jpg

4. Roman Collector

Here's a reverse with a club, an oak wreath and MHTPOΠO from Tarsus in Cilicia. Perhaps search under that city.

TIF likes this.
  5. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I will. Thank you. It is indeed the club of Hercules. Now I'll look for Tarsus in Cilicia.
    BTW.. Do you notice a double head on obverse? It's the brown color parallel to the face: Front - Eye - Nose - Lip.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  6. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

cmezner, 7Calbrey, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  7. Roman Collector

Sulla80 and 7Calbrey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted