Unusual Die Crack in Presidential Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ExecutiveCoin, Apr 29, 2011.

1. ExecutiveCoin

ExecutiveCoin Junior Member

In 2006, one of our own employees at The Executive Coin Company found a new unusual Mint error on a 2004-S Iowa quarter dollar.
    Searching through 2004 Proof sets, Lisa Henning - Retail Sales Manager at Executive Coin Company in Stow, Ohio - realized the Proof Iowa quarter she was looking at had an almost straight die crack running from the lower right rim (at 4 o'clock) into the tree, on the reverse.
    Proofs are supposed to be carefully checked by the Mint for such flaws. So the reward was even bigger for Lisa, knowing how scarce these errors are on Proof coins. Die cracks are more often discovered on circulated coins.
    Her findings from 2006 were shared with Coin World and published in "Collectors' Clearinghouse," a Coin World feature that identifies and explains the nature of Mint errors and how they occur.
    To see pictures of the die crack error, go to Executive Coin blog.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Not every proof coin undergoes 100% scrutiny, and some errors do get through. One of the members of the NGC forum collects proof die cracks and has accumulated quite a few. He found a 1999-S Proof PA SQ with a radial die crack on the reverse from the rim at about 8:00 o'clock to the crotch of the Minuteman. Naturally, he had to name it "Pi(xx)ing Minuteman".

In 2005, I received two Silver Proof Sets from the Mint with a visible die gouge shaped like a horse's hoof on the bison of the KS SQ. There are only 12 known to exist. No, I didn't name it, "Ain't that a kick in the arse!"

Chris

Attached Files:

4. ExecutiveCoin

That's awesome! You do have a very nice example of the 2005 Proof die gouge error. Great coin. Maybe NGC should take into consideration your unofficial name of the mint error. :)
    Any pictures of the 1999-S Proof PA SQ with a radial die crack on the reverse?

Thanks a lot for the information.

5. cpm9ball

Thanks! It was doubly nice when it received the PF70 UCAM. How many mint errors have received a 70? The name is fine just as it is.......MINT ERROR!

Let me check on the "PMM" and I'll get back to you.

Chris

6. cpm9ball

I just realized that I made a typo. It is a MA SQ rather than PA. I just searched the NGC archives, and as happens so many times, he deleted the photos from his Photobucket account. I'll send you a PM with his username. I don't know if you're a member there, and to be honest, I don't know if he still is either.

Chris

7. ExecutiveCoin

Thank you. Patrick McNulty was credited with first reporting a 2000-S silver proof Massachusetts quarter with a large die crack reverse. I'm thinking it's similar with the 1999-S MA SQ you were talking about.
    Here's a picture of his findings.
    2000S25cMAsilverProofDieCrack.JPG http://hermes.csd.net/~coneca/content/SpikedHeadWatch.html

Draft saved Draft deleted