Unusual denomination, Byzantine

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Here is a Byzantine coin of an unusual denomination, 30. Most early Byzantine AE coins are 40 (M or XXXX), 20 (K or XX), 10 (I or X), 5 (Є or V) or 1.

SB432TiberiusIIwXXX2035g.jpg

Tiberius II, 578-582
    Larger than most at 34-32 mm and 12.46 grams.
    (These XXX pieces are struck on large flans, almost as if they used 40-nummi flans anyway and struck them with dies marked 30.)
    ∂M TIb CONS-TANT PP AVG
    XXXX, cross above
    CONΔ in exergue
    Sear 432. DO I Tiberius II 15.

We may think of an empire as one thing. But the Byzantine Empire was large and the coinage system was not just one thing; it varied from place to place. Collect Byzantine coins for a while and you learn that the Alexandria, Thessalonica, and Cherson mints issued odd denominations, and this coin shows that occasionally Constantinople did, too.

Show us a Byzantine coin with an unusual denomination!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

4. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I think the latest scholarship believes that they were minted to supply the price of admission to adult shows.

:troll::troll:

Just kidding, that is a nice example. I find them interesting too.

John

5. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I’ve only a coupe Byzantine coins in the collection and honestly don’t know much about them. Interesting about the denominations and thanks for sharing that awesome 30!

Theodosius likes this.
  6. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Nice! I had bee eyeing one of those, but haven't managed to snag one yet.

Byzantine bronze isn't an area I see myself getting serious about, but I have been entertaining the idea of picking either Anastasius or Justinian and building a denomination set for them. I got this one in a lot, which although I did sell for a decent price, I know I will regret parting with if I pursue such a set... a 2 nummi of Justinian with a large B on the reverse

20180221_011449.jpg 20180221_011456.jpg

From the same lot and still in my collection is a nummus of Carthage - Large CN on the reverse (not *so* rare, but you don't often see nummi of any Byzantine emperor after Anastasius)
    Justinian nummus carthage CN.jpg

7. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Great XXX, @Valentinian! I'd love to see someone's 12 Nummi.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I B is 12 nummi.
    Justinian rz0075fd1516.jpg
    Heraclius
    rz0350bb0428.jpg

9. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi All, Alexandrian 33 Nummi

upload_2020-3-23_23-14-4.png

Justinian I (527-565 CE)
    Egypt, Alexandria Undated: 539 - 543 CE
    Size:
    27mm
    Weight: 10.4 g
    Axis: 6:00
    References: DO-273; Sear Byz-246.

Obv: Justinian I, diademed, helmeted, and cuirassed facing bust, holding globus cruciger and shield decorated with horseman motif; cross to right. Legend: DNIVSTINI - ANVSPPAVG. Dotted border.
    Rev: Large ΛΓ with cross between. In exergue: AΛЄΞ. Dotted
    border.

CNG eAuction 228, Lot#342.

Greirson (1982): "Justinian's reform of 539 made a brief impression at Alexandria, for there exist rare coins of this mint with facing bust and mark of value lambda-gamma. They can probably be dated 539-43, like the heaviest series of folles elsewhere. Some scholars have interpreted lambda-gamma as meaning three litra, the litron being a unit occasionally referred to in papyri, but the more general view is that it is the numeral 33, i.e. 33 nummi, which though not an exact multiple of the dodecanummium was one-third of a hundred and in that way conveniently related to the solidus."

- Broucheion

10. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Their purpose is still not understood and the denomination is also a guess being 1/3 siliqua or scripulum and 1:288th of a Roman pound.
    b278.jpg
    Commemorating Constantinople
    5th/6th c. AD
    Mint: Constantinople
    AR Scripulum
    Obvs: Helmeted, draped, and cuirassed bust of Constantinopolis right.
    Revs: Large K.
    13x15mm, 1.07g
    Bendall 8c

Broucheion, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted