Unusual coins of Thailand - Chiang Silver

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Lanna Thai. Northeastern Thailand. 13-18th century AD

Chiang Money. Silver.
    Chiang Money was apparently the standard coinage of the ancient kingdom of Lanna. It was also considered the highest denomination among other types of money in the Lanna kingdom. Chiang money bore three distinctive marks - the Royal seal, the principality of origin, and the weight value. Another practical reason for the design was for easy change by cutting off the weaker welded ends of the coin.

FB_IMG_1472662068617.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

The 4 baht coin is one of the most majestic coins of a antiquity. Certainly a great find and unusual through out the world. I believe @Collect89 has one. Congrats on picking this one up.

Loong Siew likes this.
  4. Loong Siew

Thanks man!! This is quiet an interesting type of currency..

Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Interesting coin and design....

Ancientnoob and Loong Siew like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Fantastic find! I have had thus in my radar for some time. Thanks for posting it. To boot, Thailand is one of my favorite places!

Loong Siew and Ancientnoob like this.
  7. Loong Siew

Thanks!.. coincidentally I happen to be in Thailand at the moment..

Theodosius and Alegandron like this.
  8. Alegandron

LOL, hence the SUPER SCORE at the source! Did you get it the Chiang Mai area? I am in central California now, and anticipate 110F temps (43C), probly just like you are enjoying!

Loong Siew likes this.
  9. KirkCumberland

KirkCumberland Active Member

Probably need special holder for them..odd shaped..

Loong Siew likes this.
  10. Loong Siew

I got this about a year ago in Bangkok.. I'm actually in Southern Thailand at the moment and you're right the weather is pretty hot.. although not quiet 43C.. on the contrary I can't stand hot weather!! Haha.. I do miss the nice cool Seattle weather..

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Loong Siew

I just leave it in the open. It is silver so it is ok to let it tone naturally in the open. Can't really find a holder close or capable of securing it...

gregarious likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Love Seattle. Lived in Portland, OR for a few years. Weather reminds me of Wales. I recently moved from the Southern US (my fave), to Northern Siberia USA (oops, mispelled that as Wisconsin). Bangkok is one of my favorite cities!

Loong Siew and gregarious like this.
  13. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

that's a nice one Loong. (alright, you're looking like a tourist who's every move is among the purest..excerpt from "one night in Bangkok" courtesy Atlantic Records)

Loong Siew and Alegandron like this.
  14. Alegandron

LOL

gregarious likes this.
  15. Loong Siew

Haha! Living on this side of the world does allow me easy jetting across Thailand and a couple of "exotic" places..

gregarious likes this.
  16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

What a weird, cool piece of money (coin?). I know someone else here has one of those, I certainly remember seeing pics of it (not something that's easy to forget).

Enjoy your trip of the Thailand express!

Theodosius, Alegandron and Loong Siew like this.
  17. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

That is the first I have seen or heard of such money, thanks for showing it to all of us. I have seen the pod duang or bullet money and a few other ancient non coin types of money, though I do not have any at this time. I also am in Thailand, up in the Isaan region.

18. Loong Siew

Thanks..

19. Loong Siew

You're welcome. These are pretty interesting pieces. The pod duang is interesting and there are also variants of them too. These are nice heavy pieces. I think you can find some if you look around Thailand

20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have about 12 of these, but all from Ching Mai or Ching Sen. They come from about 50 other towns, but any others are very rare.

Btw, a baht was both a unit of weight and money value. It weighs barely short of half an ounce, so these 4 baht pieces are nearly 2 ounces.

I wrote a thread on these a couple of years back if someone wants to find it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Loong Siew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted