Unusual coinage series - Malay States. Pahang.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Loong Siew, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Malay States (old Malaysia). State of Pahang. 1264 AH (1847)

One Hundreth Dollar or Quarter Tampang.
    SS6 (Saran Singh). 59g. Tin. RRR.

Legal tender in the State of Pahang. These cast tin hat or pyramid ingots were also used as trade with other neighboring states. Circulating side by side the British Colonial Dollars, the value of each is based on their weight and designs which may vary from a around 4g to almost a kilogram. The designs often employ a mix of local cultural symbolism such as the mangosteen flower and Jawi script culminating in a very interesting Indo-Islamic theme. Whilst Pahang may be one of Malaysia's largest state by area, it is also one of its least populated as most of the it is made up of mountainous land. Given the small population of the state, limited circulation and mintage, most Tampang in particular intact ones are very scarce to rare.
    20160929_132043.jpg

stevex6, Eng, Ancientnoob and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, that is a new one for me! Although these were "coinage", were they considered more for their bullion value due to being made from Tin? What are the dimensions of your Quarter Tampang?

Loong Siew likes this.
  4. Loong Siew

Not really. For instance the following miniature tampang issued on 1878 was also valued the same although it is only around 10g. It appears earlier issues are characteristically larger and heavier than later ones probably due to the concept of denomination as opposed to bullion value.

20160902_121554.jpg

chrsmat71 and Alegandron like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Looks like the design is for stacking on a rod, similar to cash coins with their square hole. Interesting

Loong Siew likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

never seen that before...interesting.

spirityoda and Loong Siew like this.
  7. Loong Siew

Thanks. All of these have a hole on 1 side specifically for stringing purposes. Many more have casting holes particularly the smaller specimens

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

very interesting... never heard or seen these.

Loong Siew likes this.
  9. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I'd hate to carry a pocketful of those around. Interesting.

Loong Siew likes this.
  10. Loong Siew

This piece is considered medium sized. There are some heavier and bigger ones which are a pain to carry.. thus the hole for stringing.. guess not much use for pockets back then

Markus1959 likes this.
  11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

do they come with holes ? or are they put in them later ?

12. Loong Siew

All comes with a default hole as part of the casting process for earlier ones and circulation pieces but distinguished between deliberate and no deliberate holes. Intact piece are those that have only 1 hole on one side of the base. Although for these coinage, these are not considered damaged like othet coinahe that were holed for jewellery or decorative purposes. There are presentation pieces which do not have holes.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Alegandron likes this.
  13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

not important, but what are the value of these type ?

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

so these are from Malaysia ? can they be searched on Ebay ? are they in the krause catalogs ?

15. Loong Siew

spirityoda likes this.
  16. Loong Siew

Yes. These are only found in Malaysia and specifically in a state known as Pahang. You might find some on ebay though but be careful of fakes.. Given their rarity it is common especially from lead.

They are unlisted in Krause but are in Kitchener and Saran Singh's book on "Encyclopedia of the coins of Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei".

17. Loong Siew

I do have an extra small piece. You can pm me if you like to know more

18. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Probably of the best condition I have ever seen!

Loong Siew likes this.
  19. Loong Siew

Thanks @Ancientnoob .. I was very pleased with this condition also..

Ancientnoob likes this.
  20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

no thank you, just liked learning more about them is all.

Loong Siew likes this.
  21. Loong Siew

Not worries.. I recommend the book by Saran Singh for a good reference in Malaysia states coinage. A number of interesting coinage shown

spirityoda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted