unusal 1988 slabbed major die clash cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rascal, Mar 18, 2020.

1. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Folks this is a very unusual coin that needs some more study on it. Go read post #14 on this thread and you can see that I'm not totally convinced that ICG labeled it right even though my error expert thinks they did . As you all know in a few rare cases about any expert error examiner can get it wrong.I can easily see this because they have so many coins to look at on about any given day . I have studied what we call " hammer jobs " probably more than anyone on earth and have ruled this out as a "hammer job" for many reasons. Where is my old friend Matt Diamond ? Don't he get on here any more . I hope he is doing ok .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

The name is Mike Diamond and I'm doing fine. ICG is wrong in this case. It's a grossly obvious vise job.

4. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Hello Mlke I'm sorry about getting your name wrong and It's good to know you are still ok. I have been about out of it for a long time and a lot of surgerys about wiped me out. I tend to disagree with one on this one and I know how hard it is to examine a coin with only a image of it. If you would message me I could better explain it to you. I may even send it to you so you can see it in hand.I know how much it looks like the old hammer job but it has so many things that says it may not be a hammer job or vise job. If you will message me I will tell you who looked at it for me a few years back. Also while you are on here please take a look at the struck thru die cap for me if you can . Troy W

5. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

The R is backwards like a vice job.

6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

All I can say is I'm glad that you can ignore a lot of people on this board. PCGS only allows 5 and that's difficult to pick and choose.

Oldhoopster and rascal like this.
  7. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

That is how it is supposed to be from a die clash or struck thru die droppings . Thanks for your reply , this is how we learn

8. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I agree

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

If you disagree with Mike Diamond you will never agree with anyone else.. Wow dude!

If @bdunnse was reading this thread he would of seriously cursed you out by now!
    Anyone remember him? :(

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

rascal
    Please answer a few questions.
    Lets look at Lincolns beard. This is a low spot in the die, convex. How is it possible for the reverse die to reach down into that convex area of the obverse die and create a clash? Just for fun, let's say it could. Why are there no signs of a clash below the beard, in the field? Do you have an answer for this?

Oldhoopster, rascal and Heavymetal like this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Not true. A dropped letter can surely flip to the correct orientation.

After reading the beginning of a few of your previous threads. I don't believe that ICG ever authenticated this coin. And the cert # would tell us that you altered the slab. I am calling your bluff. In the years that I have been on this forum, I have never suspected, seen, or known ICG to get it so wrong. And I don't believe they did.

Or, you can call my bluff, with a photo of the entire slab, obverse and reverse. We shoot it pretty straight around here. Like, what has been said before if one of us gets it wrong, there are many that will quickly respond to correct.

Photos are the proof.

12. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Thanks Idhair for a great question . This and a few other things is what made me think it may be from something else. I even mentioned it may be from struck thru die droppings which is what it really looks to be after many look overs by me. I really don't like going against expert examiners decisions but anyone can get it wrong in some rare instances . I have seen it happen before a few times .If folks on here would learn how to more civil and caring we could work better together to maybe solve some really hard to figure out coin problems. When I bought this coin I bought it thinking it was a vise job and ICG had got it wrong . After I started studying if for a while I could see it was about impossible to rule out as a mint done coin. It was struck while still in the collar as evidenced by a normal diameter rim and not squashed out any at all.

13. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Idhair makes a good point, a clash can't hit the low spots on a die while missing the high points.

14. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

15. Pickin and Grinin

16. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Well I felt sorry for some members because it looked like they may have serious health problems if I did not show this slab on here. I sure don't want anyone to get sick so here they are. Notice how the reverse is out of align from the obverse. This is what the examiner noticed that looked at it. The extra design on the obverse is aligned up perfectly with the design on the reverse side.

17. Pickin and Grinin

Edit slow computer today.

18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The examiner was wrong and it does NOT align up perfectly.
    When a clash occurs there is no Blank Planchet in the chamber so when the Obverse Die strikes the Reverse die leaving an impression on the die from each other. If this was true with your cent the memorial building would of been tilted downward and not upwards like yours shows on the right side of the Cent.. That is not a clashed die error.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    thomas mozzillo and Heavymetal like this.
  19. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I see they have a LIKE button , Where the heck is the UNLIKE button ?

20. Pickin and Grinin

How long do we keep this thread alive, knowing that each of us can easily prove that this coin is a vice job?

Burton Strauss III and Danomite like this.
  21. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Darn just look what someone said in post #37 . It would be good if a few people would stop bothering others and learn a little before becoming a expert and giving advice. Anyway if they had read my post #35 they would have had the info. right. Oh My just live and learn

Draft saved Draft deleted