UNSTRUCK coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

My latest acquisition shows what happens when two blanks were stuck together before the hammer swings... one got the obverse and the other one the reverse... and the result is coins with a totally blank side. I missed @Terence Cheesman ' Victorinus unstruck reverse at CNG 500 but won this Postumus as a consolation prize today ! Please show me your UNSTRUCK (BLANK) COINS.

79EC6CA1-0ADF-4EEB-B746-9E770337B51C.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Trier548_uniface.jpg

Constantinopolis
    A.D. 332- 333
    18mm 2.5gm
    Obv: blank
    Rev. Victory stg. on prow, holding long scepter in r. hand, and resting l. hand on shield.
    in ex. TRP✶
    RIC VII Trier 548

Ex 1989 Nether Compton (Dorset) Hoard.

Barb38.jpg

unofficial issue...probably copying a Constantine I VLPP from Siscia
    17mm 2.1gm

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The crescent on the reverse was an homage to the moon goddess Diana. ;)

5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Sorry you missed out on that Victorinus (I know you love his coins especially), but that is a very cool consolation prize!

Here is my only similar coin, a weird Constantine II from Trier that I couldn't pass up. I wonder what explains the odd nub on the blank side... any ideas?
    Constantine II Trier.jpg

6. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Maybe that's where the reverse die may have been anchored and the obverse was struck without the reverse die present? I don't know enough about the process to offer any more than this guess.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

These are all interesting. I had not seen one before.

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice catch, Ocat! Here's my RR unifacer, proof that Kevin and his descendants were working at those mints for well over 400 years. :D

RR - Flaminius Chilo Unifacer 2778.jpg
    ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius, uniface error strike. 3.96g, 19mm. Rome mint, 109-108 BC. L. Flaminius Chilo, moneyer. cf. Crawford 302/1. O: Helmeted head of Roma right; behind, ROMA and below chin, X. R: Blank.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

10. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

ClaudiusII3072.jpg
    Claudius II ("Gothicus")
    Augustus A.D. 268-270
    Billon Antoninianus
    Unidentified Asian Mint
    Obverse: IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG - Helmeted, left-facing, radiate bust of Claudius II, called Gothicus.
    Reverse: Blank error.
    21 mm, 2.1 g.

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Cool acquisition, Ocat and others! I'd love to have one of these interesting errors.

I think OJ is on the right track.

If this uniface strike happened in the usual way, it would mean the other flan had a divot that matched the nub on Sev's coin and that seems unlikely.

Perhaps the hammer die (assuming the reverse is the hammer die) had a removable die affixed to the hammer in some manner that involved a divot on the hammer and the reverse die fell out before the hammer struck Sev's flan?

It's a mystery and mysteries are one of the most fun things about this hobby :).

12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thanks, both of you, I like this theory... and did enough work on it to turn it into its own thread. Check it out!

13. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

Recent purchase, still waiting for the coin to arrive before I can truly understand how it was struck.

Syria, Chyrrestica-Beroea - Macrinus Tetradrachm, obverse blank or blank flan between coins (?)

lot 658.jpg

14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Etruria/ unknown city state
    AV Asse ND
    Struck circa 300-250BC
    Either coin reverse is blank purpose/ or striking error. Less then 4 known. 6e026778060884029f2357e5a94e0070 (1).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted