Unsearched rolls or lots?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by AirborneReams, Oct 24, 2021.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Well, not exactly!

I have more than 100 rolls of Westward Journey nickels (2004-2006) that I acquired from the US Mint and/or the official release ceremonies as well as $50 bags of the 2006 P&D Return to Monticello. These have never been searched since the rolls and bags were filled directly from ballistic bags from the US Mint.

LaCointessa and AirborneReams like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I think I know who that dealer is that you bought them from. If I'm not mistaken, is it the one in Pennsylvania that advertises in one of the major hobby magazines pretty often? IMHO that's a real ripoff. I'll bet most of what you got didn't list in the Red Book for much more than a quarter, 50 cents if you were lucky. I've never bought from them, but I did buy some from another "dealer" a couple of years ago that was a total ripoff. Never again.

AirborneReams likes this.
  4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

If I was to sell rolls, I would purposely spike them with a couple goodies. As in pre 1920.

Even then, I would never call them unsearched.

5. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Brown...

6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Banks, Credit Unions, and some grocery store customer service counters. I've been very successful in these areas. Good luck.

Inspector43, -jeffB and AirborneReams like this.
  7. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I have had my best finds in CWR bought from the bank. A few times I have even run into collection dumps. Awhile agoI found quarter rolls full of proofs and SILVER PROOFS (32) I think, with a load of UNC 60's and 70's quarters.

Inspector43, -jeffB and AirborneReams like this.
  8. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

I bought around 700 “unsearched” wheaties last night for 40$. No enough money to make me upset. I think the real ***holes are the Morgan guys I’m sure you seen them with the CC ends. Always common CCs. Also when they say DMPL end, everytime the other side of that coin is not DMPL so it just reverts it back to MS.

manny9655 likes this.
  9. AirborneReams

Thank you! I’ll take a look today if I get some run around time.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Why "salt" a roll with a special coin? Wouldn't it make better sense to send the buyer an extra coin (not in the roll) as a show of appreciation for his business?

spirityoda likes this.
  11. AirborneReams

That’s very kind of you. Yea I bought a around 2000 wheats a while back listed as unsearched. I found not a single coin worth keeping I added some random common date IHCs and re sold it as previously searched and it ended up selling for double what I paid so I guess I got lucky in that one.

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. AirborneReams

So you just ask for customer wrapped coins at places that have tills?

13. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Just ask the teller if anybody has brought in coin they rolled themselves. Usually grocery stores will have loomis MWR. I still always ask for $10 cash back and ask if they have a roll of quarters. Have gotten rolls of solid Washington Crossing the Delaware rolls that way.

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Why are you looking for unsearched rolls? So you can search them, of course.

Why does anyone else look for unsearched rolls? So they can search them, of course.

What do people do with the coins that are left after they've searched? Spend them (if they're current money), or sell them as a batch making no claims about their search status, or roll them up and sell them as "unsearched" again.

There are always new unsearched rolls coming into existence. People find Grandpa's coin collection, either before or after he dies, and spend them or cash them in at the bank. (Or even at a CoinStar, where the reject slot fills with anti-searched coins, since the machines reject silver!) But those rolls tend not to be sold on eBay -- at least, not until AFTER they're searched.

15. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

Me 2

Thanks for any tips or advice.
    Me3

16. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I have 26 + pounds of unsearched penny's. Well I am certain the collector's collections I purchased, searched them to place the penny's in their coin folders. I just pop them out into a plastic coffee can intending to play with them later and later seems to not come. Maybe when the snow starts falling this will be the year.
    I did keep the Lincoln Wheat-Ear 1934-1958 and the Lincoln Memorial 1959-1996 in tact in the cardboard display Penny.jpg

17. bruthajoe

I vaguely remember a member claiming " I found some of my best coins on ebay". I wonder if the interests are conflicting sometimes. Lot's of nice coins on ebay but I highly doubt anything goes unnoticed. I say stay away from rolls for numismatic interests and only buy rolls for silver content, and you still get to look at them with an "ounce" of hope. It's too bad. Gotta get them from the bank. Period.

AirborneReams and fretboard like this.
  18. bruthajoe

I got a feelin you tapped granny's stash Mr. Chris. Good 2 c ya

19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Ya mean they would all be brown? LOL

AirborneReams, bruthajoe and wxcoin like this.
  20. bruthajoe

Clue #1 There's an ender!!

manny9655 and AirborneReams like this.
  21. bruthajoe

There's more than one way to "change" your underwear.

Draft saved Draft deleted