Unscientific look at who's collecting coins these days.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jim Robinson, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I wonder what a coin given upon OCS graduation is called if it's a collectable? I was honored to give my son a 1893-0 Morgan to use as a presentation piece when he graduated OCS. I'm not familiar enough with the different traditions to know it's roll.

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

No, they do the same thing. It has to do with a salute. Challenge coins are a little different.

Alegandron likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Marshall, how much were those coins ?

5. SSG_Gonzo

SSG_Gonzo Well-Known Member

OCS graduates actually get a Peace Dollar that is supposed to be given to the first person that salutes them. Challenge coins are not numismatic coins however to us military personnel it is presented when we are being acknowledged for performance.

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Do you know if there's any signifigance to a Peace dollar...I thought tradition was for a sliver dollar. I'm just curious, it's not my tradition;)

7. SSG_Gonzo

I am not sure I was once told that it has to do with the V for victory in the Peace Dollar and that it should remind all officers that peace should be the end resolution of conflict. However keep in mind I am not an officer I am a Staff Sergeant so someone could have been blowing smoke up my rear as is with many old stories revolving around military tradition lol. Not that the stories are bad but sometimes a fallacy is better then the actual story behind it.

longnine009 likes this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks all the same. The only reason I even know about it was because some brand new Lt came into the coin shop to buy a silver dollar for the salute ceremony. I'm a Technical Sergeant/E-6 so I don't know what they do either.

longnine009 likes this.
  9. SSG_Gonzo

Yeah I knew you were in the Air Force, we spoke a few times. I think I even posted images of my challenge coins on your Challenge Coin Post. I am an E6 in the Army lol, tell you what I cant wait for retirement lol 4 more years for my 20 year letter.

longnine009, Alegandron and Jwt708 like this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm a little further out...And I do remember you!

11. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

37, been collecting since i was 9. I had to sell the bulk of my collection a few years ago but am slowly starting to rebuild.

12. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I'm 61 and started on Art bars in 1974.

Jwt708 likes this.
  13. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Gen X, 30 years hobbyist collector.

Rushmore likes this.
  14. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Same here

15. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

So you're also 30 years old or have you been collecting 30 years? If you're only 30 years old you're technically Millennials and not Gen X.

16. MrDSmith

MrDSmith Senior Member

28, and have been collecting for around 23 of those years.

17. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

early 50's collected as a kid and as a Boy Scout, got back into it around 1998.

18. b45

b45 Junior Member

I am 70. I have been collecting since 1962.

mac266 likes this.
  19. onecenter

onecenter Member

Age 55 and have been a collector for 46 years.

20. RBBDoughty

RBBDoughty Author, President Oklahoma Numismatic Association

This thread is very encouraging. I'm 33 collecting since age 8.

[​IMG]

21. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

I'm 39 years old, making me Gen X (born 1976), and I have been collecting for 30 years...actually 31 years, but who's counting?

I got started collecting for a Cub Scout project, pushing cents into one of those blue Whitman folders, and I haven't stopped!

Blissskr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted