Unscientific age of the coin hobbyist survey.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jim Robinson, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

You're assuming that having an account here means you're a coin collector. The bar for making an account on a website to ask a question is pretty low. Lots of people have some coins in a box, or find something in their change they think may be valuable, or maybe own a state quarters Whitman album or the like. There is a difference between having a small accumulation of something and identifying as a collector.

I've been to a lot of coin shows and club meetings, and every one I've ever been to tells me the average age of advanced collectors is 50 and up, and they are by and large, male. So I think that is more than a stereotype, but rather representative of American advanced collectors. I'm sure there are a lot of hobbyists/novice collectors for whom that is not descriptive as well.

love old coins likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Don't be. It's just part of the cycle and reminds you your still alive. Every day you wake up on the green side of the grass is a good day. Your first task of the day is "don't screw it up".

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Granted, there's all kinds of ways and different qualifying adjectives to define a coin collector. And over the years there have been many threads discussing that very subject. With more than a few of our members stating their opinion that there are millions of coin collectors in the US, and others (myself included) who choose to define a coin collector in another way stating that there are only 150,000-200,000 coin collectors in the US. That is a huge difference ! You used the term - American advanced collectors - and I often use the term - serious coin collectors, to arrive at a number estimate. I'd say both are rather similar in nature. But I think it worthy of mention to say that that's only 1 way to qualify things.

The comments I posted in the previous post were merely referring to our forum membership as another way to define it.

Jaelus likes this.
  5. louielouie

louielouie New Member

74. Began at about seven. Continued collecting in 'fits and starts' ever since.

6. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

36 isn't much to brag about but I plan to continue for a couple more years at least.

CygnusCC and love old coins like this.
  7. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

72 for a couple more months!!! Started with pennies when I was about 6. Started my drinking career at about 18 and couldn't afford coin collecting for several years! Fortunately I didn't sell what I had collected though!!! :):)

Kentucky, CygnusCC and love old coins like this.
  8. Fritz Scott

Fritz Scott New Member

72..... since last July....

9. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

The way I look at it is - if a person believes/considers their self a coin collector - then they are a coin collector.

love old coins likes this.
  10. jamor1960

jamor1960 The More I learn, the Less I know....

11. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

21 with a 45 years of experience

12. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

Love it - LOL

13. fireguy83

fireguy83 Member

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I'm 42 & been collecting since 1987.

Draft saved Draft deleted