Unplated cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Bryan Dillard, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Bryan Dillard

Bryan Dillard Active Member

My daughter found this one today looking through a penny roll 20200820_003826.jpg 20200820_003851.jpg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Neat, but I wonder if it's really unplated, or an acid job instead. The folks who are more into errors will know. The somewhat funky/patchy coloration on the reverse makes me suspicious, as does the relative softness of the lettering on the obverse.

I'm not an error/variety guy, though, so I don't know enough about the unplated Zincoln errors to say, one way or the other.

Spark1951 likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

BTW, I like your Indian cent avatar, for some inexplicable reason. Just a nice old well-circulated IHC. I enjoy the look of those. Nostalgia, I guess.

capthank and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think your coin has been unplated with some kind of process like an acid dip or electrolysis.

capthank and Spark1951 like this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That may be what's called a "Texas Cent". Lay another cent on top of it and see if that one isn't just a tad larger around...... You can take a modern cent and lay it between two pieces of leather and hit it with a hammer. All the copper will fall away and you are left with a zinc cent that is just a bit larger than it was before.

7. goossen

goossen Senior Member

I go with removal by acid. I think electrolysis will cause more damage to the zinc core.

alurid likes this.
  8. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Ah! The voice of experience, I presume. What do you not know, Randy? ;)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Perhaps I have been known to abuse a coin or two in my younger days.....

10. Robert Ransom

, he said with a sheepish grin. :)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

12. Robert Ransom

I think we should spend some time speculating upon the various methods/chemicals that may have been utilized to achieve the pictured effect. ROFLMAO 1Emoji.gif

13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

You mean we are at the Comedy Club I thought we were at CT, go figure!

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not if your electrolyte in the deplating cell is a copper salt. There will still be some damage but it will tend to be more selective in removing copper atoms from the cent than zinc.

Draft saved Draft deleted