unopened rolls of Wisconsin quarters from mint

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Geod, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Geod

Geod Member

Looking thru my coins and discovered I have P & D rolls of Wisconsin quarters from the mint that were never opened. Let's hear comments on what I should do with them. Open and look for extra leaf error? Sell them unopened? Etc.

What do you say?

Wisc-2.jpg Wisc-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Do you NEED to do anything with them? Why not keep them exactly as they are?

4. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

I believe it was only the Denver mint with the extra leaf . I still have a roll of string and son somewhere.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I understand your response, but at the same time I would ask you why leave them ? I mean, left as they are, all you have is a box with some coins in it. You have no idea if any of them are high grade, but I readily grant you it's almost a certainty none are. You have no idea if any are errors, but again it's almost a certainty none are. But in the end what is the purpose of owning them if you have no idea what you even have ?

And Geod, I understand buying them, was a time when I used to buy rolls too. And yeah, sometime's I'd even leave a box unopened. But when I did it was always because I planned to sell them unopened at some point in the future. Why ? Because there's so many bidiots out there who will pay premiums for stuff like that and I could always use the profit to buy coins that I really wanted for my collection.

So Geod, my question to you then becomes, why did you buy them to begin with ? The answer to that question should tell you what to do with them.

Basically you have two choices, open and see what ya got, or sell them as is. Neither choice is right and neither is wrong - they simply are. But keeping them, unopened, does absolutely nothing for you, and never will, until you make a choice.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Schrödinger's cat

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I tried to understand this when people would buy "unopened" wax packs (baseball cards) and NEVER OPEN THEM. What's the point? Where is the fun in never opening them? As for the coins in question, they are pretty much face value to me. These were produced in massive quantities, and unless I could find an (MS-68 or whatever) in there, or one of the extra leaf errors, they are all just quarters.

8. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

The treasure hunter in me says open them. Why not, right? The premium you'll get for them is probably insignificant anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted