Unopened proof sets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Nathan401, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I would like some advice. As many of you know, there are so many of these ebay listing for "unopened " proof sets. Recently I bought a 1962. I opened it, and to my pleasant surprise, found a really nice set with a great cameo obverse Franklin half. I was hooked. The seller I purchased it from was sold out. I bought a different one from a different seller. I opened that one, and what did I find?? On the cellophane packaging was a sticker with ink writing on it, clearly put there by a shop owner, collecter, etc. After an angry email, the seller offered a full refund. Can anyone point me in a direction where I could possibly purchase some of these, and have them truly be unopened? Thanks.

Santinidollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I could have sworn I've read there's no such thing as official "unopened" envelope proof sets. That is to say they were issued by the government in envelopes that weren't sealed. With this in mind, it is not so surprising you received one that had writing on the cellophane packaging.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  4. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

http://www.usmint.gov

5. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Not exactly true, A few years back I sold 20 unopened sets that were still in the original shipping box unopened. I sold them for a friend and the box went for $600. :D - Buyer never told me what he found inside. :( They were truly unopened sets!

62 Proof sets 1.jpg

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The sets in that box may have become sealed due to humidity, but those envelopes were shipped by the mint unsealed.
    The sets in that box may have never been searched, but when individual sets are sold, rest assured that they have been searched.

BadThad and McBlzr like this.
  7. Nathan401

Wow. Thank you. I feel real dumb now. I got caught up in the excitement of finding treasure.

8. USS656

I have no idea if the sets in the box were sealed or not, just the otter box was sealed which prevented me from determining what the condition of the sets inside were. I have no doubt that the sets shipped unsealed and what ever happened during the 50 years in a closet - happened. Hope they were all cameo franklins with a ting of nice toning on the outer edges of the coins. That said, these sets were truly unsearched and no one can dispute that.

9. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Wait. Are you telling me that a 1956 set purchased in 2015 shouldn't have an advert from 2010 inside the sealed envelope? Lol

image.jpeg

10. USS656

The box like I sold is a one in a million find. The likelihood that you will find any unsearched sets is extremely unlikely.

Nathan401 likes this.
  11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't feel dumb.........we've all been through something like this and praise the Lord for this site of knowledgeable collectors. :)

Santinidollar and Nathan401 like this.
  12. green18

And Darryl? Had that box been mine I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to tear into it. :)

Nathan401 likes this.
  13. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I've been right where you are, Nathan.
    I was taken in on a few of those.
    (I won't say how many, but I did get lucky selling them when silver went over $40.)
    I finally learned the truth here.

Nathan401 likes this.
  14. USS656

The $600 it would have cost me to do so just wasn't worth it - imagine spending that much money to find a badly toned and spotty group of coins. It would have made me sick. Would rather dream that the new owner found fresh cameo's. :)

green18 likes this.
  15. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Well, if you never heard back from him I'm guessing he didn't find anything great, or else he had another buyer lined up and just
    re-sold the unopened box.

16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I wouldn't go that far. About 8 years ago, Scotsman Auction had several listings for unopened shipping boxes postmarked 1956, 1957 & 1958. In total, there were about 100 sets in those packages. I know for a fact that they were not tampered with in any way because I know the person who wrote the descriptions for them, and he is above reproach.

Chris

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Maybe it's my nature, but I can't imagine anyone getting a proof set back then and not opening it. My father and I couldn't wait to tear into them.

onecenter, Markus1959 and Nathan401 like this.
  18. Nathan401

Same. I could care less about re-sale value. I never sell.

serafino likes this.
  19. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I've handled sealed boxes such as this numerous times, some of them containing as many as 50 proof sets. I don't have any silver sets, but do have a few unopened boxes of the 1975-S proof sets. It's fun to think about the improbable existence of a No S dime in one of those sets . . . should I open it or shouldn't I? . . should I? . . shouldn't I? . .

Santinidollar likes this.
  20. Nathan401

You should.

21. green18

I would. :)

Nathan401 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted