SOLD Unofficial/quasi-official Ireland 1819 large penny token w/harp, listed as "Rare"

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by lordmarcovan, Feb 10, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

(I posted this earlier, but have since updated and corrected the listing somewhat.)

From what I can gather, this 1819 Irish penny token was an unofficial or quasi-official issue, and there does not seem to be very much information available about it (at least online). It is not listed in Krause, obviously.

Based on the only other one I've seen currently for sale in my web searches, this is presumably Bell variety # 1938, and listed as "Rare". That reference did not ring a bell with me, but I have since gathered that it is a title called "The Token Book" by a Robert C. Bell. I had someone else confirm the "Bell-1938" attribution and the "Rare" notation in the book, but since I've never personally seen the book, I don't know much else.

Nor do I have any pricing data.

The former owner was asking $125 for this piece on eBay. That's of course more than the British seller wants for the other one I linked above, but I think this piece is superior to the other example. Furthermore, I do not need to ask $125 for it. I can go half that; i.e., $62.50. Call it an even $65.00 delivered.

This thing is sharp, and looks even nicer in hand. It is also big. This is a full penny piece, not a halfpenny.

The images below are somewhat overexposed. In hand, this token is a much more evenly colored chocolate brown and the surfaces are quite nice. With the possible exception of the soft strike on some of the lettering, this piece is superior in every regard when compared to most large coppers of the period, let alone the one other example I linked to above.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017