Unofficial CoinTalk Dark Side “Coin” Grade Poll #5 1796 S-85 Large Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jack D. Young, Jan 9, 2020.

?

Guess the original TPG Grade of this example?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2020.
  1. VG-8

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. F-12

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. VF-25

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. VF Details

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Maybe “counterfeit as heck and doesn’t matter”…

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Like my previous posts I am looking for the TPG grade for this example AND whether it appears to be genuine or “authenticity challenged”. I would appreciate a brief explanation as to why it looks like either to you as well.

All responses and questions during the running of this post welcomed!

I have formatted the poll to allow 2 answers going forward and limited it to 2 days for active voting.

Today’s subject is the 1796 S-85, a rather scarce variety (R-5) early large cent and carries a premium in price; it is also a variety where higher graded examples are pretty rare. The EAC Condition Census tops out with 1 example graded XF-45 and goes down to F-15 for the top10 listed.

s85.jpg
    As a point of reference this one was purchased in late 2015 from a California Coin Shop through an internet listing; this was just after many of us became aware of the latest round of struck counterfeits hitting the marketplace…

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Ok if this is a counterfeit it’s a good one. It would fool me as I’m not a large cent expert. Though I have a decent knowledge of the series The only things that give me pause is the spot behind the ear which could be a genuine planchet flaw and the patch of bumps and roughness above one. I would likely be fooled by this as the color wear and surfaces look real to me from the pics. If this is fake and I suspect it may be by your posting it Jack I’m very interested in hearing the telltales thanks again for all your work on these

Jack D. Young likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

I’m guessing VF Details on the holder; either corrosion or environmental damage

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

The rims are completely wrong

6. Mainebill

How so?

7. TypeCoin971793

The dentils just randomly stop. Then there’s a gap. Then there’s a thick solid rim.

49D6F3A4-B675-4309-BDAF-31271577ABF3.jpeg 130AF8A0-94A3-4B8B-983C-54C703890906.jpeg 00F3ECE3-A997-4E4B-B918-B2333614958A.jpeg

Compare with a genuine one.

A795812B-9B7D-4C60-8744-9F090CE7BB0F.jpeg

8. Jack D. Young

2657329-017.JPG

How does mine look compare to this example?

9. Mainebill

10. TypeCoin971793

The rims still have issues from K9 to K12

11. TypeCoin971793

The dentils on the genuine dies extended beyond the maximum predicted coin diameter to account for the variable flan width due to variable striking pressure. What is seen on the OP’s specimen could not have happened

12. Mainebill

Interesting to know thanks

13. Jack D. Young

OK, poll will be closed shortly so I am going to start with the question of authenticity.

This next image is of a similar example but severely holed; that example appears to have been expertly repaired in to the “Plugged” NGC example:

source.jpg
    Common marks are indicated in “white”, unique to that example in red.

Source-holed-marks.jpg
    source-repaired-marks.jpg
    One other “tell” for this example is the re-engraved hair at the hole repair (image on the right is of a known genuine example).

hair.jpg
    Compare it to my OP example- these two are obviously different examples and both were for sale in two different venues prior to my purchase...

14. Jack D. Young

OK, the answers!

My OP example was graded VF Details- damaged. There were many who also saw it that way.

19424295_1888967404695629_7835653568843584084_n-ngc.jpg

As far as authenticity, not so much; not only do the main sister marks match the probable source example but also match my 2nd one in the collection.

My-2nd_S-85-marks.jpg

This raw example was worked on and “weathered” to make it look different but the main attribution points are still visible.

atts_S-85.jpg

So another counterfeit good enough to be considered “genuine”…

bob-g_S-85.jpg

Interest in this post was significantly down from the previous ones and may well be the last for the series- thanks to those who did participate!

micbraun and Kasia like this.
  15. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

There may be a significant number of common attributes between the proposed source coin and the counterfeit. What is your opinion 20200111 S85 Map Overlaid Source MarkedUp.JPG 20200111 S85 Map MarkedUp.JPG 20200111 S85 MarkUp Overlaid Counterfeit.JPG ?

Jack D. Young and Mainebill like this.
  16. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused here. Was this a fake that fooled NGC?

17. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Don't pull the plug. Many of us have been consumed by the FUN show this week!

18. Jack D. Young

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    GeorgeM likes this.
  19. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Thanks for posting. I'm not really into copper, and I figure if these are getting past the TPGers I have no business commenting. But I believe keeping fakes in the forefront is one of the most valuable facets of these sites.

GeorgeM and Jack D. Young like this.
  20. Jack D. Young

I have a couple of silver examples I could do in this format as well!

longshot likes this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Quick guess. Top end of B missing. Just my 2 sense

Draft saved Draft deleted