Unofficial CoinTalk Dark Side “Coin” Grade Poll #3 1797 Large Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jack D. Young, Dec 30, 2019.

?

Guess the original TPG Grade of this example?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2020.
  1. VF-35

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. XF-45

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. AU-50 Details

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. AU-55

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. Another “counterfeit as heck and doesn’t matter”!

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

OK, looking for the TPG grade for this well detailed example; details of this one would place it in the top 20 for the variety (S-139).

If you are so inclined, you can also post your details/ net (EAC) grade just for fun…

S139 J. Young-CTalk.jpg

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Why would it be an "unofficial" poll?
    And why is it a "Dark Side"?

Does it have anything to do with it being counterfeit?
    ;)

mynamespat, Troodon and Jack D. Young like this.
  4. Jack D. Young

Figured it was easier to be unofficial than the "official" Coin Talk anything...

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I think it’s a scary good counterfeit by the weakness in the hair and the porosity that looks more planchet related or deliberate than true environmental damage. This one not being a series I study as much could get by me

Troodon and Jack D. Young like this.
  6. Mainebill

Especially as the porosity is just on the portrait not on the fields where it would more likely be. Probably from the environmental damaged host coin for the transfer dies.

Troodon likes this.
  7. Mainebill

Also seeing the same pitting on the lettering date and other details. The more I look at it I realize it’s a counterfeit by transfer dies from a porous genuine host coin why the perfect fields with no pitting

Troodon likes this.
  8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I voted 45. I would expect it to be a details grade.
    Just assuming it's fake (I know nothing about these), but there does appear to be a few raised dots in the fields, especially on the reverse? Is that normal?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  9. Jack D. Young

The surfaces are pretty common for a lightly environmentally challenged early copper. Bill is on to something with the observation of the lack of details on a fairly high detail coin...

Troodon likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

55 is my guess as to what the holder said

Jack D. Young likes this.
  11. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Counterfeit. Very grainy especially in the hair. There appear to be tool marks or marks that don’t seem to come necessarily from the die state.

The reverse has some raised pimples as mentioned scattered throughout especially near the right ribbon and second 0 in 100.

I would put it in the 40 camp.

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The mushiness of the reverse lettering is what convinces me this is a fake.

Troodon likes this.
  13. Jack D. Young

A friend did an autocad comparison of this one to a genuine one; the scratches stand out but a dead on match.

S-139-auto.jpg

Mainebill, mynamespat and Troodon like this.
  14. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I wrestled with this one. Can't speak to its genuosity (should be a word). TPG grade AU-50 details. I think they would think it's been dipped and retoned. EAC grade EF-40, Net VF-30.

I am waiting to have my head handed to me!

Lueds and Jack D. Young like this.
  15. Jack D. Young

Awesome response Publius2.

16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

This is the S-139 variety. The softness of the hair in the center is characteristic of the variety. This is a superbly well-done die transfer counterfeit, and it probably would have gotten by me if I was not being overly careful. I would not hold this one against the graders.

I would probably attribute that to a defective planchet

Raised pimples that are not on other coins of the same variety is an excellent indicator that a coin is fake. It is my go-to diagnostic if I am not initially sure one way or another. Good eye!

Some varieties, like the 1798 BB-105 Bust Dollar, have die chips in the later die states that look like pimples. Verify varieties closely to avoid condemning good coins.

Particularly around D in UNITED? I checked to see if that is a strike artifact on genuine coins, but it does not appear to be. The edges of R and A in AMERICA seem rather rough and struck that way

kSigSteve and Troodon like this.
  17. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Early coppers are a weakness of mine, but I trust my instincts enough to say that the lack of high point definition seems an obvious contradiction with the crispness of the lettering in the legends. Because of that, the coin just doesn’t look right to me.

Jack D. Young and Troodon like this.
  18. John Wright

John Wright Well-Known Member

If this is a fake that's why YOU are the fake-exposer and not me. I'd call it detail XF, net VF20 or 25, ugly surfaces. TPG might call it "AU details, environmental damage"

If cheap enough I'd buy it, but would later replace it with a lower-grade nicer-looking piece of the same variety and diestate.

19. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

My vote is fake, therefore grade is irrelevant. Other people have posted specific reasons. To me it just doesn't look right. If it looks to be good to be true, it's a safe bet that it probably is.

20. Jack D. Young

Thanks John- really value your opinion! I worked with two other authenticators on this example and both agreed this is one of the most deceptive fakes out there; one actually PM'd me in the middle of the night saying it kept him up that night...

And of course if authentic it shouldn't have a near twin:
    S-139's-o-marks.jpg
    S-139's-r-marks.jpg

21. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Great detective work Jack! Can the counterfeiter be tracked down by the ownership of the host coin? I would assume that some other host coins could be tracked down as well?

chascat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted