Unofficial CoinTalk Dark Side “Coin” Grade Poll #2 1872-S Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jack D. Young, Dec 27, 2019.

?

Guess the TPG Grade of this example?

Poll closed Dec 30, 2019.
  1. AU Details

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AU-50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. AU-53

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. AU-58

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  5. MS-60

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. Counterfeit as heck and doesn't matter

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

PCGS-combo.jpg
    My_1872-s.jpg
    OK, had a number of responses to the 1st “Unofficial CoinTalk Dark Side “Coin” Grade Poll” and decided to have a go with a second one…

Looking for the TPG grade for this well detailed example; the 1st image is in the slab (courtesy Heritage Auctions), the second from my friends at NGC (courtesy NGC).

This time I am going to limit my “clues” and responses prior to voting! I plan to run this through the weekend so here goes nothing!

longshot and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Mintmark size and position looks wrong for this date.

Paul M. and Jack D. Young like this.
  4. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

The location of the mm is nowhere near close to the one example I saw.

5. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Counterfeit, it's grainy and date/mm look weird.

6. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Yeah, I am at work so cannot pull out my WB, but date looks low and mintmark abnormally high. It could be a variation but I do not remember it offhand.

If it is false it is very well done. Scares the heck out of me if it is.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  7. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Looks like a fake. The mintmark is in the right position for the WB-1 and WB-2 marriages but the mintmark itself does not look like the "small, wide 'S'".

8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Whats up with the double edge on the left side of the sheild on the reverse?

The horizontal lines on the sheild look off as well.

9. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Wrong style mint mark spells fake.

10. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Counterfeit. Graded AU53 by PCGS.

Die gouge on the first T of TRUST is another die marker for this counterfeit.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  11. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Overall the coin looks good to me. I dont mean to say I think it's real, just that at a glance it would certainly fool me if it's indeed a fake. Seems like a above average fake. yes, Mint-Mark looks a it weirdly placed, but a few have already mentioned that.

To me, the only new observation I can make, is that i think her hair around the ear looks fake/bad. It's too pronounced to my eyes, looks like it been re-carved/ tooled. Bit too chunky and exaggerated. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be?

Untitled.jpg

Looking on CoinFacts, it seems some of the legit coins really do have exaggerated hair details. So who knows.... :confused:

Capture.JPG

12. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Nothing to add here, just want to say this looks very well done to me. :nailbiting:

13. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I voted AU-58. We know in the spirit of the thread it's (likely) counterfeit but in response to the OP's question, I think the TPG gave it AU-58.

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Wow, that is a very well done fake!

LakeEffect and Jack D. Young like this.
  15. Jack D. Young

You seem quite certain kSigSteve!

kSigSteve likes this.
  16. Jack D. Young

I think it is actually in the wrong position for all 3 of the known reverses!

Mainebill likes this.
  17. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

This is one of the ones I’m familiar with. They’re really good but the reverse doesn’t match the obverse for the date. There’s been a couple of these that the LSCC which im a member of has caught

18. Jack D. Young

Interesting story Bill- I found one from a bad seller I was watching and approached the LSCC with it to find they had already documented one. I joined as a result...

Mainebill likes this.
  19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I joined awhile ago especially for the gobrecht journal subscription. I buy and sell a lot of seated coins and collect a few but trade dollars are my passion I had gotten an email heads up from a couple people I do a lot with about these fakes they’re scary good as it’s not a series I know die varieties for but I know the people that do

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

58 on the holder, if it did pass by the TPGs (which I'm guessing it did based on the PCGS prongs; if they had caught it as counterfeit, it would have returned in a "body bag")

21. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I forgot to guess the grade . . . MS60, but I didn't change my vote for the coin being counterfeit.

Draft saved Draft deleted