Unlisted Severus Alexander and Julia Mamaea Provincial?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Unless this is some other emperor than Severus Alexander (and who would it be?), I think this is undescribed in the numismatic literature. Some of the legend is off the flan, which I have reconstructed from similar coins from Marcianopolis under Severus Alexander. The reconstructed legend is in brackets.

Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis
    AE Pentassarion
    10.1 g; 25.7 mm
    Obv: ΑVΓ ΚΜ Α[VΡ CΕVΗ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟC ΚΑΙ] ΙΟVΛΙΑ ΜΑΜΑΙΑ, confronted busts.
    Rev: ΗΓ Ȣ [ΤΕΡΕΒΕΝΤΙΝΟV ΜΑΡ]ΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΙΤ-ΩΝ, Dikaiosyne standing l., holding scales and cornucopiae, E (5) in field, r.

Not listed in: AMNG, Moushmov, BMC Greek, Sear Greek Imp, SNG Cop, SNG von Aulock

Does anyone have an attribution or reference for this coin?

Severus Alexander and Julia Mamaea.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Looks like AMNG 1057 var?

Roman Collector likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The Marcianopolis SevAlex-Mamaea/Dikaiosyne bronzes in CNG's archives cite Varbanov. I didn't look through all of them to see if there is an exact match but assume you did. I think JA has Varbanov, so maybe he can check for you.

I don't know which magistrate issued your coin.

Edited to add: An example in CNG's archives describes the reverse figure as Nemesis rather than Dikaiosyne.

5. Roman Collector

I don't have access to Varbanov, unfortunately.

6. Roman Collector

Thanks, but that's a listing for Maesa, and this is clearly Mamaea.

7. Roman Collector

It's not Nemesis. On these issues, Nemesis has a staff, not a cornucopiae, and there is a wheel at her feet. It's Dikaiosyne/Aequitas, I'm almost positive.

TIF likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Since I don't know the difference between Nemesis and Dikaiosyne/Aequitas, I'd guess you're right :D

Although... there is a coin in CNG's archives showing a very similar figure (scales and cornucopia, although with a wheel at her feet) and they call her Nemesis. They could be wrong though. http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=287840

9. Roman Collector

There is no Severus Alexander/Julia Mamaea issue with Dikaiosyne/Aequitas under any magistrate listed in AMNG.

Tip of the hat to Pishpash who led me to the reverse type on the Maesa issue, though:

This reverse type IS, however, listed as a Severus Alexander/Julia Maesa issue by AMNG, both #2055 or 2056 (the difference is on the obverse legend of the Maesa coin, which doesn't apply to my Mamaea coin).

Might this be a mule of a reverse issued for Maesa on an obverse issued for Mamaea???

Here's the listing in AMNG for Severus Alexander with MAESA

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I like these provincial issues. I do not have one of Sev Alex., but I like this one of GIII:
    Gordian III 8 a.jpg
    GORDIAN III
    AE26
    OBVERSE: ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡ∆ΙΑΝΟC ΑΥΓ ΤΡΑΝΚΥΛ/ΛΙΝΑ, confronted busts of Gordian III and Tranquillina
    REVERSE: ΟΥΛΠΙΑΝΩΝ ΓΧΙΑΛΕ/ΩΝ, Tyche or Homonoia standing left wearing modius, patera in right, cornucopia in left
    Struck at Hadrianopoli, 238-244 AD
    12.44g, 26mm
    AMNG II 675

Johndakerftw, stevex6, Jwt708 and 5 others like this.
  11. Roman Collector

Actually, it can't be a mule of the reverse type with Maesa because the reverse inscription in AMNG 1055 and 1056 is clearly different from my coin, from a different magistrate. My coin's inscription clearly has a tied omicron-upsilon (looks like one of those Jesus fishes but with the nose pointing down) and apparently a tied eta-gamma, too.

Severus Alexander Mamaea reverse legend 1.jpg

Severus Alexander Mamaea reverse legend enhanced.jpg

Note the tied omega-nu at the end of the inscription, too.

This would match an inscription used by Um. Terevintinus: Capture.JPG

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

What was the hole on the reverse for?

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Bellybutton

14. Roman Collector

The dimple on the flans of these coins is called a "centration dimple" and how they get there is a matter of some controversy. Some feel that they result from some sort of rotary grinder to smooth the flan prior to striking the coins. There are concentric ridges on many of these coins, indicating something was rotating on the flan--or that the flan was rotating on something. Some feel that the flans were turned on a lathe or similar apparatus. Some feel that the dimples are marks made from tongs used to remove the flan from the furnace prior to striking.

One of the members of this forum, Doug Smith, has an article about these:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/pit.html

Mikey Zee, Theodosius and Insider like this.
  15. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

It is a dimple. Something to do with a lathe I believe.

Roman Collector likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm yah, I kinda have one (it has a few hits, bumps and a bit o' wear => but it's still pretty fricken cool, yes?)

Cilicia Ninica-Claudiopolis AE37 (w c/m)
    222-235 AD
    Severus Alexander with Julia Maesa (Victory c/s)

Cilicia Ninica-Claudiopolis.jpg

... at least it's one of the Julias, right?

:rolleyes:

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While it would do no good for the coin in question due to the letters it is missing, sometimes we have help in ID from the magistrate names on the reverse left as listed on this convenient web site. When you have legends, coins are easier to ID but the list is particularly helpful separating Caracalla and Elagabalus with the same names on coins.
    http://akropoliscoins.com/page8.html

Alegandron likes this.
  18. Roman Collector

That's a great resource! Thanks for posting.

19. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Hirstova and Jelov's 2006 book "Marcianopolis" has this reverse design, including the scale and cornucopia, as 6.33.354.2 (four pieces illustrated) but with magistrate Ivlius Festus and a very similar design, lacking the cornucopia, for your magistrate, expanded there to Umbrius Terebentinus (225-229) 6.33.35.7 (1 piece illustrated). I did not find it with the former design and latter legend. So, I don't think it is listed in that book.

Alegandron and Roman Collector like this.
  20. Roman Collector

Thanks for this info!

Draft saved Draft deleted