Unlisted Gibraltar Coin- Partial Collar Error?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by SorenCoins, Jul 24, 2020.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Hello everybody! I noticed that some of my proof sets and other things of the like contained coins that I had not catalogued yet into en.numista.com! One of these things was my 2017 ANA World's Fair of Money "World's Coin Passport!" You got to go around to each mint and a representative would stamp it and give you a coin. The Pobjoy Mint was there but did not have any coins at the time. They had me write my email on a piece of paper so that they could send me a coin.

A little while later, my coin from the Pobjoy Mint came! It is a 2017 Gibraltar One Penny. It looks similar to other Pobjoy Mint coins from Gibraltar, featuring the "Barbary Partridge" on the reverse. When I went to enter it into Numista, I found that it is not in their database! This is exciting, since it has been a while since I have added a coin that wasn't listed there. I was wondering if anyone else had this coin or at least had some information on it.

Here are some photos of the coin:

IMG_5290.JPG
    IMG_5291.JPG
    Also, which of these images would you use for the Numista database? The top set was taken with a Canon Rebel camera, and the bottom set was taken with my iPhone. You don't choose solely between the top and bottom sets, but you can mismatch if you like (e.g. top set for obverse and bottom set for reverse).

I noticed an anomaly on the rim for this coin. It looked like most one pennies from Gibraltar from the Pobjoy Mint on Numista note "smooth edge." Here, one side of the rim (the side closest to the reverse) protudes outwards. I tried to take some pictures of this, and finally found that I could get some by putting it in a crumpled penny roll on its side. Hopefully these can help. I am wondering if this is part of the coin's design or if it is a struck partially in collar error.
    IMG_5197.jpg
    IMG_5198.jpg
    IMG_5203.jpg
    Those are a few angles. The raised portion of the rim does go all the way around the coin, and it seems like it may be just slightly thicker and thinner in some places. Hopefully this thread all makes sense, and feel free to ask any questions if I didn't say something clear enough.

Thanks,

Soren :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I can't imagine why they would make that part of the coins design. But I'm also thinking partial collar strike but not totally sure.
    Very interesting!

SorenCoins likes this.
  4. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

This is the first coin I've seen of this type. The current series of circulating coins minted by Pobjoy for Gibraltar are commemoratives, so your coin might be special even before considering the possible error.

SorenCoins likes this.
  5. SorenCoins

I am not sure either! I messaged Pobjoy via their website asking if anybody knew whether it was intentional. I appreciate your input! It looks like a partial collar strike for sure in my opinion.
    Right... the "50th anniversary of the referendum" ones are what I see on Numista. It was the first coin I had seen of this type too! I am feeling like this coin might be special even before considering the possible error too. Something about it seems very spur of the moment. First, I wonder why they weren't able to provide them in-person at the ANA World's Fair of Money. For some reason, I think I might remember the Pobjoy representative saying they were still in the minting process. I wonder if these coins were made specifically for ANA in small amounts?

There's another thing about this coin that seems strange: Look at the denticles! Denticles only on the reverse yet none of the obverse. Seriously strange.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

It's also missing the die letters typically seen on Pobjoy coins. I really feel like this thing was cobbled together at the last moment like you said.

SorenCoins likes this.
  7. SorenCoins

You're right! I had not yet looked into it, but I considered the fact that the die letters were the small letters beneath Queen Elizabeth II's bust. I now see that those are the designer initials. Perhaps, if it was cobbled together (I like that phrase :)), inattention to detail may explain the error.

I have been trying to find someone else who has this coin from the ANA World Mint Passport with very little luck. I saw one listing on eBay that did not include the Pobjoy coin. In order to get more information, I may message the Pobjoy Mint. Not sure what else to do!

TuckHard likes this.
  8. Sasyclasylady64

Sasyclasylady64 New Member

I have a 1996D dime that looks identical to that coin...I've seen partial collar coins but I don't feel mine is cuz the layers are separate

SorenCoins likes this.
  9. SorenCoins

Interesting. If I were you, I would post a new thread with images of your coin and description like you put here. It will get more attention there.

Draft saved Draft deleted