Unlisted 2008 Panama 1/4 Balboa

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Poetheraven1, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Poetheraven1

Poetheraven1 Member

I could really use a little help on this one. I have searched through Krause's as well as a google search of the Internet and cannot find this particular coin. Does someone know anything about this coin, its catalog number (if I've been overlooking it), and possible value. Or is it a counterfeit or fake coin? It measures about 24.25 mm and weighs 5.7g. It looks like the KM#128 1/4 Balboa, but that one only lists a 1/4 Balboa dated 2001(c) ... No 2008. I have found that Krause's catalog is nice for beginning research, but there are some inaccuracies, and in this case, I cannot even find the coin listed.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I am guessing it is a listing error. I've found a few online in UNC for 1.5 euros, so it's probably not going to pay for a new car...interesting though that it's not showing up. I found a website (colnect) that lists this coin as being in Krause as km 128. Another website mentioned that it was released in 2010.

One on eBay for .99 BIN (item ID 251417530599)

4. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Thanks for posting that link - that was the page I was looking at, but the mobile version of it (looking at it on my ipad) wouldn't let me copy the link.

6. Poetheraven1

Poetheraven1 Member

The link provided above lists KM#138 as the catalog number for a 2008 1/4 Balboa, however, the description seems to apply only for the Children's Hospital coin....no mention of the armored bust of balboa coin. KM# 128 only lists a 2001 version of this coin, although it is quite possible that the 2008 also belongs under this listing. This is apparently one of a number of errors in the Krause catalog that I have found, but communication with Krause's publisher always go unanswered, and there is no other URL listed for Krause author or editor. I must assume they don't care if their catalog is accurate or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted