Unknown stamps on an 1861 French 5 Centimes

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GeorgeM, Mar 16, 2020.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Were there any siege tokens or merchant pieces made from French 5 centimes pieces? This appears to be stamped with 4 individual punches: D, U, U, I (4th one is the weakest, so I'm guessing there) 20200316_151909.jpg 20200316_153243.jpg

I came across this stamped piece in a diverse collection & am trying to figure out if there's any known significance for the punches. Thanks!

Marsyas Mike and alurid like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks more like someone was having fun with their punch.

GeorgeM and alurid like this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Hear no, see no, speak no.

FredJB and Evan Saltis like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Some people have nothing better to do with their time. They probably tear pages out of their history books, as well. ~ Chris

6. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

There was a thread earlier about some Napoleon III coppers which were defaced during the WW2 era. Many were also defaced as a political statement in the late 1800s due to the unpopularity of his loss during the Franco-Prussian War. Napoleon III 2Fr 1866 "Sedan".jpeg

7. GeorgeM

Well, TP is in short supply...

8. GeorgeM

Hmm. I could see "Sedan" being a political statement. Any idea what the letter BUUI could mean in any arrangement?

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

We have plenty of palm trees in Florida. ~ Chris

10. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

I couldn't actually make out the letters to tell what if anything they say. If you look at the placement, though, they are not random-looking but focused on the mouth, eyes and ear. That suggests a grudge to me rather than just bored defacement.

lordmarcovan and GeorgeM like this.
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The 1870s satirical pieces (both counterstamped and engraved) that were made after the French loss to the Prussians in the Battle of Sedan have always interested me. That's what made me open this thread.

But I have no idea what happened to the coin in the OP here. Perhaps random counterstamping by a bored person, as suggested. Then again, @alurid might be onto something with his "hear no, see no, speak no" comment, as it seems pretty non-random that ol' Nappy3 got his ear, eye, and mouth stamped out, and there aren't punches anywhere else.

GeorgeM likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Call me clueless, there.

But intrigued.

13. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

When I see a very worn host coin like this I always wonder if some one was just trying to make a worn coin more sale-able

Draft saved Draft deleted