Unknown Small Foreign Silver Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bradley Trotter, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I have no clue to as what this coin is or where it may be from in origin. I have posted scans of the obverse and reverse any insight would be most appreciated.

Unknown Foreign Silver Coin 1 of 2 02252019.jpg Unknown Foreign Silver Coin 2 of 2 02252019.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Need a little clearer shot of both sides .. .photo taken straight on.

4. Bradley Trotter

5. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

It's a good idea to provide at least a diameter - rounded to the nearest whole mm is fine - (and a weight if possible, but to know the weight is less important at this point in the process, generally) when asking for ID help.
    That said, I suspect this will turn out to be one of the almost innumerable German or Austrian states' issues from the later middle ages or the early modern period. The facing spread eagle is a pretty common coin device in general, but its combination with a seated saint or church official suggest it may be an episcopal (bishopric) issue and may be restricted to a locale as small as a single town.
    At this point, reading the legends is probably the most productive thing you can do. See if you can figure out a ruler's or cleric's name and/or any hint as to the place of origin. Generally, if you can read them, the legends on this sort of medieval or quasi-medieval piece will tell you just about everything you need to know.
    Granted, the Lombardic and Gothic lettering is not easy to interpret at a glance, but it may well be worth trying to write out the legends as visible in a straight line on paper. The letters which are at least more or less clear may allow you to see something that suggests a useful lead. To start you off, it appears that the eagle side legend may begin to read something like a name ("IONHES" perhaps). Having even a single name or other legend fragment to work with, even though it may be a common name or part of a common place name or dedicatory inscription, may serve to significantly pare down the list of possibilities.

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  6. vannilo

vannilo New Member

Italy- Patriarcato Aquileia-
    Giovanni - 1387- 1394
    denaro -
    mm. 18 weight gr. 074/090
    Giulio Bernardi: Monetazione Patriarcato di Aquileia-Trieste 1975 n.62

7. Bradley Trotter

Thank you, I've always wondered what this coin was.

Draft saved Draft deleted