unknown roman coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by benc5123456, Feb 16, 2017.

1. benc5123456

benc5123456 Member

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 09.04.17.png Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 09.04.10.png hi does anyone know what this is?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

It almost looks like Phillip the Arab. Can you take a clearer picture of the obverse? Also, is it a badly corroded and toned silver or bronze? I can't tell from the pictures.

The reverse is definitely Salus, the Roman goddess of safety and well-being.

Better yet, post nicer pictures in the ancients forum. At least you already know the coin has a Salus reverse and a suspected Philip obverse. That's more than you had to go on before.

Here is a Gordian III Salus reverse for comparison. See the snake in yours? It's faint but it's there.

Gordian III Salus Snake.jpg

And here is a Philip the Arab portrait for comparison.

Philip I Ant 246AD.jpg

4. MaxV773

MaxV773 Member

Yea that should be one of those, from what the other guy said! I was watching a video this week and a guy found something close to what you are showing, and it ended up being the top one ^^ from the other post. Im no expert in Roman coins, but is it just me or does the front of the coin look like the 2nd photo coin front and the back side looks like the 1st photo back side. Idk how easy that was to understand. Ignore what i said

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's an antoninianus of Victorinus with Salus reverse. The bearded portrait definitely looks like him and what I can read of the legend fits. I may be wrong though. This is not a time period I've spent much time browsing.

Example from CNG's archives:

[​IMG]
    361, Lot: 1041. Estimate $75.
    Sold for $50. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.

Victorinus. Romano-Gallic Emperor, AD 269-271. Antoninianus (22mm, 5.15 g, 12h). Colonia Agrippinensis (Cologne) mint. 2nd emission, late AD 269-mid 270. Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Salus standing right, feeding serpent held in arms. RIC V 67; Mairat 321-6; AGK 21c. EF, dark brown patina.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted