Unknown Provincial Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

14285560_1047619135346131_7136397_o.jpg

I've tried really hard to find an ID to this coin but failed miserably. I'm wondering if any of you guys have an idea.

I have shown this coin around to several people who ended up saying that it might be a imitative provincial.

On the reverse is either Tyche or Homonoia, Looks like a mural crown or a kalathos. Tyche can be standing alone but is commonly with a rudder. Homonoia can stand alone but commonly with a altar left.

For the legend, it looks blundered and nearly unreadable to me on the reverse. The obverse legend looks double struck.

I haven't been around much so I hope you guys don't mind me returning. But truthfully, I've been busy running this Facebook group called Ancientscoins. It's as much fun as it is here, truthfully.

I need to post about my Imperial grid collection as I'm up to 110 Roman Rulers. I would really like to do that countdown again, that was so much fun here. Loved it!!

I also got a bunch of coins that I need to photograph and I can post them here if you guys don't mind.

Eng, dlhill132, ancientone and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I'm clueless as usual but it seems to remind me of the coins of Cilicia....

4. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

Maybe Judean?

upload_2016-9-21_16-10-8.png

No....have to look more,,

Eng, Gil-galad and Bing like this.
  5. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I advise you to clean this coin by soaking it in distilled water for a couple of days . Then brush it with a soft toothbrush. The aim is to detect the maximum of letters especially on the obverse, so that we can determine the name of the Emperor. As for the reverse, maybe one could guess Serapis. There also seems to be a cornucopia there. Just imagination .. Cleaning is the key.

Smojo likes this.
  6. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Patera in one hand and definitely a Cornucopia. Once I receive I'm hoping I can see the letters better. Because I really don't want to touch it cleaning wise, and risk ruining the sand patina.

That coin from Judaea definitely is Tyche holding a rudder and a cornucopia.

7. ab initio

ab initio Well-Known Member

The ruler is Philip II and the reverse inscription starts with ΕΠΙ and the name of a magistrate and ends with EITΩN to left and right of Tyche(?). Michel Amandry, (to whom I owe this) and myself are not within the reach of a library so it is up to you guys to check it out. Probably an Asia Minor mint.

red_spork and Gil-galad like this.
  8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I had a feeling it's a Asia Minor coin because it's a high probability of the coin being found in the same near proximity of a region. It was found in Georgia.

Thanks for that information. I'm going to start doing some more research. I was using ISEGRIM for Asia Minor coins but I wasn't having much luck.

I will post again about it soon. Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

ΕΠΙ CTP AVP ΦABIANOV + city

10. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Thanks Doug.

I'm having a difficult time reading the letters because they look strange and truthfully, I'm learning Roman Provincial Coinage as well. I'm getting to the point where I definitely need some books. Thinking about getting Greek Imperial Coinage by Varbanov.

Of course, Roman Imperial coinage legend letters are not always consistent either and I learned how to read those.

I'm going to be researching that soon. I'm in the middle of IDing some Greek coins right now.

Mikey Zee and paschka like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Alegandron likes this.
  12. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  13. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I found a post where Helvetica who runs Wildwinds said that she has the book as well as the missing pages that most of the PDF downloads suffer from. The PDFs have missing plates and I don't see a catalog or more magistrate names for Philip I and Philip II.

So, I emailed her to see what she says about it.

14. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

She emailed me back with some more information.

Phiilip-1-Adramytion-Mysia-Kraft-systemes.jpg

It looks similar but the bottom of the bust looks different on this coin than my coin.

Here are some other references she gave me.

It is listed in Fritze, Mysien 172 ("Phil. II"); Kraft Systeme, plate 30, no. 13; Mionnet V, 46 ("Phil. I"); Waddington 629 ("Phil. II") etc.

paschka and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted