Unknown Oriental coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Terry5732, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Terry5732

Terry5732 New Member

To me. I've spent a lot of time looking through pictures.
    jcoin 002.JPG jcoin 001.JPG jcoin 003.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Tibet. Trade coinage, looks to be a 1/2 rupee, or a 1/4 rupee. Need to see its diameter. Minted from 1904-1912. .935 silver. It is pretty worn, maybe G-8. Listed as Y# 1. (if a 1/4 rupee, which it appears to be, 19 mm.).
    GSDykes

4. Terry5732

Terry5732 New Member

Thank you.

It is out of round - 22.6 to 23.1mm.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Coins like this are really interesting because they have been used...extensively...for the purpose they were designed for. A full and meaningful life, let it have a peaceful retirement.

6. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

7. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I'm not too sure if I'm happy to consider it as genuine. This is an example however is a rupee coin.

[​IMG]

While they are different coin, if you compare the obverse as they share similar elements - it just seems that the details are just completely off.

This is a rather interesting coin as it was issued in Sichuan (Szechuan) Province. The idea was to imitate the Indian rupee that circulated in Tibet and make them more "Chinese style".

While the rupee coin is somewhat common, as soon as you try finding the smaller denomination - they become excessively uncommon to rare. Not too sure what Krause values the smaller denomination but they are that scarce. The last time I saw a 1/2 rupee sold, it went well easily over the 500+ dollar mark. That was more than 5 years ago from memory.

GSDykes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted