Unknown Liberia coins... I can't find in catalogs

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by toserve, Aug 21, 2017.

1. toserve

toserve New Member

I have two $10 Liberia coins both dated 2000. One has the multicolor Lynx and the other a multicolor Moose. Both appear to be silver. The Lynx has a different denomination of $20 on the reverse. Anybody have some insight?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Around the turn of the century Liberia flooded the market with coins. None of them ever saw the country. The were all made by, IIRC, the Franklin mint and sold directly to collectors. Some of these made it into the catalog, many did not. The $20 coins are mostly .9999 silver and I buy them as close to melt value as I can. Over half of these are cataloged. There are some 14t gold coins also, mostly not cataloged. The rest are not worth anything except for what you can get someone to pay. It is sort of random as to whether you will find these in the catalog.

Basically, they produced so many that the catalogers could not keep up. Look at the KM numbers. They are far from sequential by date. The are sequential by the order in which they came to the attention of the publishers. There are still more being added and I have several silver ones and a few gold ones which are still not there.

Theodosius likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Is the Lynx a Mule? Or are they all mismatched denominations?

5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Commemoratives walk a fine line between being interesting and legitimately honoring some worthy person or event and just being melt value nick nacks made solely to bilk collectors.

:spitoutdummy:

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The Schön catalog has a note about the "coins" issued during the civil war (roughly 1990-2003). Various numismatic agencies around the world made agreements with various warring parties, and Schön says they can hardly be considered to be coins. No catalog will have a complete list of all those pieces ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted