Unknown Large Satavahana Unit

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I was wonder if anyone can tell me more about this coin.

I am uncertain of its composition, maybe some type of lead/silver alloy. It doesn't really look like lead in hand. Maybe nickle?

21 mm x 7.00 grams
    Satavahanafatboy.jpg

swamp yankee, Pishpash and Gil-galad like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Wellll, it looks like a circus elephant on the obverse and balloons on the reverse. Does that help Anoob?

swamp yankee, stevex6 and Mikey Zee like this.
  4. Ancientnoob

Sort of...I got there is an elephant on the obverse. I think the obverse is legend is Prakrit. The reverse is a tree in a basket made of rectangles.

5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Since Bing stole my answer:rolleyes:---I'll guess nickel---or an alloy that seems to be mostly nickel....

I'd love to see a more clearly detailed example of that coin.

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

is it definitely ancient? if it had text on the back i might guess it was a rough 18th century indian coin.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. Ancientnoob

Definetly most likely 2-1st BC. I was able to find a larger 10 gram coin made of lead. The other was a 5 gram Arsenical Bronze( ?). Pictures of these are few as well. This will be tough. I guess that's what makes it fun.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'd be very surprised if there is any nickel in it but assay would cost more than the coin so it may be a mystery. We know what 2000 year old nickel looks like and I've not seen any this smooth. Of course the known nickel coins are only 25% nickel (just like our 5 cent coins) so I really have no idea. Send it to Steve. He should know nickel when he sees it.

stevex6 and Ancientnoob like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

pentlandite.jpg [​IMG]

Pentlandite <=> your cool coin

Ummm, maybe it's nickel?? (hey, why don't we blast 'em both and see if they're the same?!!) ... explosives fix everything

:woot:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted