unknown japanese coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by je.beats, Dec 11, 2013.

1. je.beats

je.beats New Member

good day to all... i would like to share this coin... if you have any information regarding this one, please do share... many thanks...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

It would appear to be a fantasy piece pasted together from a Morgan dollar and a fantasy? 10 thousand yen piece (no such coin in the Std Catalog).

4. jamorse_99

jamorse_99 Junior Member

From google search of ten thousand yen coin:

Ten Thousand Yen, The Twin Dragons, Meiji 8, Silver 900, Dia 88 mm, Thickness 5 mm, Weight 180 gr.

Apparently your coin is a fake?
    http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=14638
    http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces33685.html

The real 10,000 yen coins:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10,000_yen_coin

5. je.beats

je.beats New Member

i'm sorry about the second attachment... it was the wrong file... here's the reverse side of this "japanese coin"... it's around 81mm in dia...

Attached Files:

6. je.beats

je.beats New Member

thanks sir... i, too, saw those pages... so, meaning, the coin isn't an existing coin for use during those times? it's just a made-up coin?

7. jamorse_99

jamorse_99 Junior Member

I'm no expert. I can't find any coins on the internet that aren't labeled fake with 10,000 yen. All the coins have yen values much much lower. Like they made a gold 1 yen coin. How big would a gold 10,000 yen coin be? 22 pounds?

8. je.beats

je.beats New Member

i was just a bit of confused when it is labeled as "fake", because if there is a "fake" one, then, there would be the "original" one with the same features... i do apologize for being ignorant sir, i'm kinda new... the coin is around 81mm in dia, and approx. 180gms...

9. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

No "real" coin like this ever existed.

This coin is actually "made in China" and can be bought in local markets in China wherever "fake" and "fantasy" coins are sold.

Chinese coin forums mention that this coin sells for about 5 yuan ($0.82) in these markets.

Incidentally, at least one scholarly article has been written debunking the coin. The article appears in a 1996 edition of "Anhui Numismatics".

Also, please note that despite what other coin sites say about the coin being made of silver, the inscription on the coin actually states that it is made of "platinum" (铂金)!

The creators of the coin must have decided to include as many references as possible concerning its "value". The "900" refers to the fineness of silver. The "370" refers to the exchange rate of silver to gold in ancient China.

Gary

harleytater and jj00 like this.
  10. je.beats

je.beats New Member

thank you very much sir for your elaborate response... i was actually having a hard time getting information regarding this particular coin... for a second i was thinking that it might be an (ultra) rare coin, if there ever was one... and it is a big coin too...

so the value of this would depend on its content? if ever this one has a value...

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have both a 10,000 yen coin and a 100,000 yen coin. They were issued to commemorate the 50th or 75 or something (?) year of Hirohito's rule. Japanese citizens had to get into a lottery to get one of each. My mother-in-law got me one of each (nice lady). The metallic value and a link to stated value has not been relevant for MANY years.

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

You might see if it sticks to a magnet. Your electric can opener may have a magnet that can be used for this basic test. If it sticks, then it is certainly NOT made of the precious materials silver or platinum.

It has the appearance of a China made fake/fantasy piece of no numismatic value. Where did you get it?

BTW, the Morgan dollar in your other photo has a similar appearance. You might want to check it with a magnet as well.

13. je.beats

je.beats New Member

thanks for the response sir...

14. je.beats

je.beats New Member

thanks for the response sir... it doesn't stick to a magnet... same goes for the morgan dollar... i have no clue yet as to where they came from but it was given by a friend of my dad...

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Are these your photographs?

16. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

It doesn't matter whether it sticks to the magnet or not. The fact is that a) it doesn't exist in any catalog b) Design is extremely crude c) Whether the alloy is magnetic or not, it's most likely not silver

Who knows what's in that "coin" - toxic lead? Arsenic? If you still wish to keep it, I would have it in a holder or paper envelope.

17. je.beats

je.beats New Member

yes sir... i personally took the photographs...

18. je.beats

je.beats New Member

thanks for the response and duly noted sir... now it's getting clearer and clearer...

19. jamorse_99

jamorse_99 Junior Member

Well, just don't eat the coin if you're worried about lead and/or arsenic.

20. je.beats

je.beats New Member

lol... i would keep that in mind... :D

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but is this one coin front and back or are these two separate coins?

Draft saved Draft deleted